Suspended License in Rhode Island
Searching the Rhode Island DMV for matching Driving Records
Instant Driving Record - Exclusively Online!
Instant Motor Vehicle Report Includes:
- Driving Status
- License Classification
NOTICE: This is standard non-certified driving record. For a certified record, you must contact DMV
Get your personal driver's license history instantly and online. Find out what information is on your driving record with a BackgroundChecks.com Instant Motor Vehicle Report. Keep in mind, you can only run an instant motor vehicle report on yourself.Page Overview
Driver License Suspension in Rhode Island
If your driver's license was suspended by the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you'll need to complete your suspension requirements to reinstate your license.
Your license may be suspended for reasons including:
- DUI/DWI offenses and refusing a BAC test.
- Alcohol/drug-related offenses.
- Traffic violations and accidents.
- Being determined as medically unable to drive a vehicle.
On this page, you'll find information about your suspended license and how to reinstate it.
Your driver's license suspension duration and reinstatement requirements will vary depending on your offense.
NOTE: In addition to Rhode Island DMV penalties, you may also face court requirements and fines if you were convicted of a crime.
When your license is suspended, the RI DMV will mail you a suspension notice with details about your suspension duration, hearing requests, and reinstatement requirements.
For information about your specific suspension, contact the Rhode Island DMV Operator Control by phone (401) 462-0800 and provide your:
- Full name.
- Birth date.
- Driver license number.
Check Your Driver License Status
Traffic violations and accidents can lead to fines and driver license suspensions.
You can visit the RI DMV website or order your driving record to find your driver license status.
Depending on the circumstances of your Rhode Island driver's license suspension, you may be able to request a hearing to contest the decision.
To request a hearing, you may need to:
Get the Legal Help You Need
- Refer to your suspension notice.
- Contact the court that served your suspension.
- Contact the RI DMV Operator Control at (401) 462-0800 for more information.
Find a local attorney who can help with your Rhode Island driver's license suspension and get you back on the roads.
Your reinstatement requirements will vary depending on the circumstances of your suspension.
NOTE: Before you can reinstate your suspended license, you may need to satisfy court requirements and pay fines if you were convicted of a crime for your offense.
Depending on your offense, you may need to do any or all of the following:
- File an SR22 or proof of insurance.
- Complete an alcohol education or treatment program, if necessary.
- Complete a defensive driving program, if applicable.
- Retake and pass the driving skills and knowledge tests.
NOTE: If any classes/programs are required, you should receive your registration information in the mail.
To reinstate your suspended driver's license, you'll generally need to submit any required documents/fees and meet with a hearing officer in person at the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Operator Control office, which is located at:
600 New London Ave
Cranston, RI 02920
Once the RI DMV Operator Control has processed your suspended license reinstatement, you'll need to visit your local Rhode Island DMV office and:
- Bring your reinstatement notice.
- Provide a proof of your identity, with documents such as a:
- Birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- U.S. military ID.
- Provide a proof of your address, with documents such as:
- A voter registration card.
- Utility bills.
- Bank statements.
- Pay your reinstatement and any licensing fees. (See Fees to Reinstate Your Suspended License below.)
For a complete list of acceptable identity and residency documents, please visit the Rhode Island DMV website.Has your car insurance premium gone up with your license suspension?
Get Rhode Island car insurance quotes with our insurance center and find a cheaper policy.
Your reinstatement fees may vary depending on the circumstances of your suspended license. You may also need to pay licensing fees.
Below are general Rhode Island DMV fees that may apply to your suspended license. Be prepared to pay different fees depending upon your specific situation and driving history.
- Non-DUI/DWI suspension reinstatement: $151.50.
- DUI/DWI and BAC test refusal reinstatement: $351.50.
- Driving skills test: $26.50.
- Driver license renewal (valid 5 years): $41.50.
- Driver license renewal (71 years old and up): Prorated fee.
- Duplicate driver's license: $26.50.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles accepts the following forms of payment for your suspended license:
Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section
- Checks and money orders payable to “Division of Motor Vehicles."
- MasterCard, Discover, Visa and American Express credit/debit cards.