Special Licenses in Rhode IslandPage Overview
According to Rhode Island, a chauffeur is someone who drives a private or commercial vehicle to a designated location for payment. To do this, you'll need to get a valid chauffeur's license, denoted by an "R" restriction on the regular operator's license.
To obtain a chauffeur's license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a resident of Rhode Island, although citizenship is not required.
- Have at least three years of previous driving experience.
- Provide three references.
- Agree to a criminal background check.
- Complete a CPR course.
A chauffeur's license allows you to drive any vehicle, ranging from a taxi to a van, with a capacity of 14 passengers or less.
To receive a chauffeur's license, you must complete written, road, and eye tests.
When a CDL is Required
If you need to drive a vehicle that carries 15 passengers or more, you must have a Class C Rhode Island CDL with a passenger endorsement.
Rhode Island law requires school bus drivers to have a Class C CDL with passenger, air brake, and school bus endorsements. School bus driver certificates must also be renewed on an annual basis.
In addition to completing all applicable CDL requirements, a school bus driver must:
- Have held a motor vehicle operator's license for at least 3 years and be at least 21 years old.
- Have no felony convictions and/or crimes of moral turpitude
- Complete 10 hours of classroom instruction
- Obtain an eye test and physical examination by a licensed physician
- Agree to an annual randomly administered drug test done by employer
If you have questions regarding the special classifications of driver's licenses in Rhode Island, call (401) 462-5703 or contact:
- Division of Motor Vehicles
- 100 Main St.
- Pawtucket, RI 02860
To drive an ATV, you must:
Other Topics in This SectionTrue or False
- Be at least 12 years old.
- If you're between 12 and 16 years old, you must have an adult with you.
- Not cross highways if you're under 16 years old.
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.