Salvaged Vehicles in Rhode Island
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
A salvaged vehicle is one that has been previously declared an absolute loss due to collision, fire, flood, trespass, or other mishap, but is now being rebuilt.
Salvaged vehicles are perfectly legal. The way in which some of them are falsely sold, however, raises the eyebrows of authorities.
There have been a growing number of cases of shifty car dealers selling salvaged vehicles that are cosmetically sound and internally flawed. The Byzantine nature of today's electrical engines makes it difficult for the average person to detect camouflaged mechanical flaws until it's too late.
To help protect you from such practices, Rhode Island has instituted a stringent registration and title process for all salvaged vehicles.
Registration and Title Requirements
To obtain a title, you must first qualify for a Salvaged Vehicle Inspection. To do so you must appear in person at the Enforcement Section of the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Before arriving, make sure you have:
- Photos of the vehicle before it was repaired. You will need both side shots of the front and the back.
- A legitimately ascribed Salvage Title.
- A completed Bill of Sale.
- All original receipts for parts used to repair your vehicle. Photocopied receipts will not be accepted.
- The work order for your repairs. Photocopies will be rejected as invalid.
- An insurance company appraisal report.
- The original salvage repairer's certificate.
- A $51.50 title fee. Cash and personal checks will not be accepted; please use only certified checks or money orders.
- Valid identification.
- A fully completed Salvage Title Application.
- Front and back copy of the Salvage Title.
The failure to provide any of the above required documents will automatically cancel your Salvage Inspection Appointment. If you must cancel your appointment after being approved, do this in person or through fax (401) 728-0965 and provide at least 24 hours advanced notice.
If you have questions, you can call Enforcement at (401) 588-3006 or visit at:
- Enforcement Section
- 100 Main St.
- Pawtucket, RI 02860
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.