Salvaged Vehicles in Rhode Island
A salvaged vehicle is one that has been previously declared an absolute loss due to collision, fire, flood, trespass, or other mishap, but is now being rebuilt.
Salvaged vehicles are perfectly legal. The way in which some of them are falsely sold, however, raises the eyebrows of authorities.
There have been a growing number of cases of shifty car dealers selling salvaged vehicles that are cosmetically sound and internally flawed. The Byzantine nature of today's electrical engines makes it difficult for the average person to detect camouflaged mechanical flaws until it's too late.
To help protect you from such practices, Rhode Island has instituted a stringent registration and title process for all salvaged vehicles.
To obtain a title, you must first qualify for a Salvaged Vehicle Inspection. You will need:
- A completed Application for Salvage Inspection.
- Copies of receipts for any replaced parts used in reconstruction.
- A check or money order for the $56.50 fee (payable to "DMV").
- A copy of your Salvage Title.
Send the above to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
600 New London Ave.
Cranston, RI 02920
Once your application is approved, make an appointment with the Rhode Island DMV to have your vehicle inspected. Make sure to bring the following with you to your inspection:
- All original receipts for parts used in reconstruction.
- Receipts for labor costs.
- Valid identification.
- An appraisal report from your insurance company.
- Your repair work order.
- Salvage title.
- Photos of the vehicle before it was repaired. You will need both side shots of the front and the back.
- A completed Bill of Sale.
The failure to provide any of the above required documents will automatically cancel your Salvage Inspection Appointment. If you must cancel your appointment after being approved, do this in person or call (401) 462-5736 and provide at least 24 hours advanced notice.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.