Renewing Your CDL in Rhode Island
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Because your Rhode Island commercial driver's license (CDL) requires photo identification, you must renew in person at any Division of Motor Vehicles location. Be sure to call ahead, since each office maintains different hours and different days of business.
The DMV will send you a renewal reminder prior to your license's expiration date. You should bring this notice with you when you complete the renewal process.
This system is imperfect, however. For whatever reason, some drivers never receive their renewal notice. If this should happen to you, be assured that your current license will suffice.
To renew your Rhode Island CDL, you'll need the following:
- Your current license.
- Your DMV renewal form; don't worry if you don't have it.
- Your Social Security card (Not required if your card was previously documented and validated by the DMV when you first applied.)
- Cash or personal check to pay a $81.50 license fee for 5 years
If you wish to add an endorsement or upgrade to a different class of license when renewing your Rhode Island CDL, you'll need the following:
- Your current license
- Your DMV renewal form
- Your Social Security card
- Proof that you passed the required exams for that particular license
- Cash or personal check to pay the upgrade fee.
If you're renewing a license with a hazmat endorsement, make sure your TSA background check is still good. If you need a new one, get it done at least a month ahead of time. bring the following:
- Your current license.
- Your DMV renewal form.
- Your Social Security card.
- A clearance letter from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with Rhode Island's DMV. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:
- Non-Excepted Interstate
- Excepted Interstate
- Non-Excepted Intrastate
- Excepted Intrastate
If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must, in addition to a completed self-certification application, provide the DMV with a federal medical certificate.
Questions? The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's website provides detailed information.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.