Organ Donation in Rhode IslandPage Overview
Organ Donation in Rhode Island
Did you know another person is added to the nation’s organ transplant waiting list every 11 minutes? Every day, 18 people pass away waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) works in conjunction with Donate Life New England to register donors and provide valuable information on donations.
Many people in the United States die each day while waiting for an organ transplant. Currently, thousands of Americans are in dire need of donated organs, and many more wait for donated tissues. Here are some important facts, which could provide all the information you need to join the cause!
- There are absolutely no fees to be an organ donor; your family will not be responsible for any charges.
- Your funeral won't be delayed or altered due to becoming a donor; open-casket funerals are still possible.
- All major U.S. religions support organ and tissue donation.
- Donors receive the same level of medical care as non-donors. Every effort is made to save your life before any thoughts of donation are even considered. Organ and tissue donation is only an option after every measure has been taken in the attempt to save your life.
You can register as an organ donor in Rhode Island online or in person at your local RI DMV office.
NOTE: While individuals of any age can donate tissue and organs, only those who are 18 years old or older can use the online organ donor registration form in Rhode Island.
You do NOT need a driver's license or identification card to register to become an organ donor in Rhode Island. However, you will need the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (SSN) to apply online.NOTE: Advising family members of your wishes is strongly recommended.
To register online, please visit the Donate Life New England website.
You can indicate your desire to be an organ donor on an Application for License, Identification Card and Permits (Form Ll-1).
Once you are registered as an organ and tissue donor in Rhode Island, a heart will be visible on the front of your identification card or driver's license.
NOTE: Every time you renew your identification card or RI driver's license, remember to check the box to continue being a tissue and organ donor.
You're able to support organ donation a variety of different ways in Rhode Island. You can:
Other Topics in This SectionSave Lives. Become an
- Become a New England Organ Bank (NEOB) volunteer. The volunteers at NEOB are essential for educating the public about the need for organ and tissue donors. Volunteers can assist people in signing up to become a tissue and organ donor in Rhode Island.
- Make a monetary donation to Donate Life America online.
- Make a monetary donation to the Rhode Island Organ Donor Awareness Coalition (RIODAC).
Organ Donor Today!
Make a difference by registering to donate your eyes, tissues and organs!Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸