Custom Built Car Registration in Rhode Island
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
The folks at Rhode Island's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) define a custom-built car as:
- Any vehicle that has been modified from the manufacturer's original configuration
- Any vehicle that has been fashioned together from non-original materials
- Any vehicle that is 25 years old or more, but is not a model built before 1948
If your vehicle falls into the custom-built category, you must register it as such if its use will be restricted to occasional exhibitions, club gatherings, and parades. You will not be allowed to register it as custom-built if you plan on using it for everyday travel.
Registration and Title Requirements
Rhode Island's registration and titling requirements are as follows:
- You must submit a completed Application for Registration and Title Certificate.
- You must provide proof that the vehicle passed a safety inspection.
- You must provide detailed evidence that authenticates every part used to construct your vehicle. This must be submitted to the Enforcement Section located in the DMV's Cranston location. Once approved, you must then take all your paperwork over to the Title Office located in the same building.
- You must pay the $51.50 title fee.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.