Name Change in Rhode Island
Rhode Island Name Change Package - $29.95
Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Rhode Island. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.
Name Change Package
Includes Forms for:
- Drivers License
- Vehicle Title
- Voter Registration
- US Passport
- Bank Notification
- Credit Card Notification
- Insurance Notification
This page has all the information you need to change your name with the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Before you change your name on your RI DMV documents, you will need to update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you do not complete this step first, the DMV will not accept your name change application.
To change your name on your Social Security card, you will need:
- An Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- Identity (e.g. ID card, driver’s license, passport).
- Lawful U.S. presence (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, work permit and I-94).
- Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).
The SSA will process your request and then mail you your updated Social Security card within about 10 business days.
Once you’ve changed your name with the SSA (see above), you’re ready to update your Rhode Island driver’s license or ID card.
Visit your local RI DMV office and:
- Provide your current Rhode Island driver’s license or ID card.
- Submit a completed Application for License, Identification Card and Permits (Form LI-1).
- Must be notarized.
- Show proof of your name change, such as your:
- Updated Social Security card.
- Marriage certificate.
- Court papers.
- Pay the appropriate fee.
NOTE: A complete list of required documents can be found on the application form.
To change your name on your car registration and certificate of title, you will need to visit your local Rhode Island DMV office in person.
NOTE: You must have already changed your name on your RI driver’s license.
You will need:
- A completed Application for Registration and Title Certificate (Form TR-1).
- Must be notarized.
- Proof of your car insurance.
- Your RI driver’s license showing your new name.
- Your certificate of title, if your car is a 2001 model or newer.
- Payment for the required fee.
When you change your name in Rhode Island, you will need to pay the following fees:
- Driver’s license: $6.50.
- ID card:
- Younger than 59 years old: $6.50.
- 59 years old or older is free.
- Registration: $6.50.
- Certificate of title: $51.50.
Accepted Payment Methods
Rhode Island DMV offices accept payment by:
- Money order.
- Personal and bank check.
- Payable to “Division of Motor Vehicles.”
- MasterCard, Discover, VISA, and American Express credit/debit cards.
- Will incur an additional $1.50 fee per transaction.
If you’ve changed your address in Rhode Island, you must inform the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 10 days of your move. You can do this either online, by mail, or in person.
For complete instructions on changing your address on your driver’s license/ID card and vehicle documents, see our Changing Your Address in Rhode Island page.