Paperwork When Buying a Car in Rhode Island
Get detailed VIN History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:
You can buy a car without registration papers, but if the vehicle is newer than 10 years old, the seller is required to provide the buyer with a title to complete the transaction.
Buyers should beware―if a person attempts to sell you a vehicle without a title, you probably want to pass. Not having a title could signal that the seller doesn't have permission to sell the car or possibly doesn't even own it. Ask the owner to apply for a duplicate before proceeding.
A bill of sale is needed when it comes time to register and title your vehicle. Plus, it's an important document to file in your records for "just in case" purposes. You can download one in seconds from our Bill of Sale page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Chrysler Caves, Recalls 2.7 Million Jeep Grand Cherokees and Liberty SUVs
- Chrysler Cold Shoulders Government’s Recall Request
- Driver Signs: A Zodiac Guide to Your Road Habits
- Say Hello to Tougher Texting-While-Driving Penalties, New York!
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting