Paperwork When Selling a Car in Rhode Island
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
To sell a car, you need to:
- Fill out a bill of sale and provide the buyer with a receipt.
- Transfer the title to the new owner.
You can sell a car in Rhode Island without registration papers, but if the vehicle is newer than 10 years old, the seller is required to provide the buyer with a title to complete the transaction.
If you want to sell a vehicle to which you've lost the title, first apply for a duplicate title. Once you have that in hand, you can proceed with the sale.
You must bring the vehicle's plates and registration card to a DMV office. There, you'll receive a signed cancellation form, indicating the date the plates were canceled. Be sure to keep this receipt for your records.
You will need to provide the buyer with a bill of sale. You can download a copy of this form from our Bill of Sale page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Chrysler Caves, Recalls 2.7 Million Jeep Grand Cherokees and Liberty SUVs
- Chrysler Cold Shoulders Government’s Recall Request
- Driver Signs: A Zodiac Guide to Your Road Habits
- Say Hello to Tougher Texting-While-Driving Penalties, New York!
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting