Dealers Handbook in Rhode Island
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
While the Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not provide one comprehensive vehicle dealer handbook, the organization does offer a number of downloadable forms of use to those interested in the business of selling motor vehicles. For example:
For additional information regarding motor vehicle dealer licensing procedures,
call (401) 588-3005 or write to:
- Rhode Island Dealers License and Regulations Office
- Division of Motor Vehicles
- 100 Main St.
- Providence, RI 02860
If you're interested in detailed information regarding laws, review Chapter 31-5 of Rhode Island's General Laws. Topics covered include:
- Application process
- Applicable licensing fees
- Examination of records
- Penalties for violations by dealers
- Criminal liability for violations
- Dealership violations that are considered serious enough to result in the loss of your license
- Hearings on the suspension or revocation of your license
Chapter 31-5.1, covering the regulation of business practices among motor vehicle manufacturers, dealers, and distributors may also be useful.
The Motor Vehicle Dealers License and Hearing Board is charged with overseeing the activities of used and new car dealers throughout the state. This board handles complaints from the general public as well as investigating misuse of dealer regulations.
Contact information and meeting minutes for the Motor Vehicle Dealers License and Hearing Board can be viewed on the Rhode Island Secretary of State website.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.