Bill of Sale Requirements in Rhode Island
When buying or selling a car in Rhode Island, you must complete and sign a Bill of Sale. This is especially imperative from a buyer's standpoint, since the form is needed for titling and registration purposes.
Although a Bill of Sale may look complicated, it's not difficult to complete the form if you remember the following tips:
- Be sure that all necessary information―year, make, color, purchase price, odometer reading, and vehicle identification number (VIN)―is included.
- Double checking that the VIN on the Bill of Sale exactly mirrors the number on the car is strongly suggested. Any deviation will stall the registering process.
- Type or neatly print seller information. Illegible applications won't be processed.
- Seller signature is required for a bill of sale to be valid.
- If you have questions, call your nearest Rhode Island DMV office for assistance.
To assist you in finding a form, we provide links to generic forms from our sponsors.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!