Bill of Sale in Rhode Island
When buying or selling a car in Rhode Island, you must complete and sign a Bill of Sale. This is especially imperative from a buyer's standpoint, since the form is needed for titling and registration purposes.
Although a Bill of Sale may look complicated, it's not difficult to complete the form if you remember the following tips:
- Be sure that all necessary information―year, make, color, purchase price, odometer reading, and vehicle identification number (VIN)―is included.
- Double checking that the VIN on the Bill of Sale exactly mirrors the number on the car is strongly suggested. Any deviation will stall the registering process.
- Type or neatly print seller information. Illegible applications won't be processed.
- Seller signature is required for a bill of sale to be valid.
- If you have questions, call your nearest Rhode Island DMV office for assistance.
To assist you in finding a form, we provide links to generic forms from our sponsors.