Passport Application & RenewalPage Overview
U.S. Passport Applications and Renewals
If you're traveling through a foreign county, you will need a passport.
Your choice of transportation also affects whether you'll need a passport. If you're traveling to Canada or Mexico on the ground or by sea, you won't need one (although you do need to provide another type of proper identification, such as a passport card, enhanced driver's license (EDL), or trusted traveler program card). If you're traveling to those countries by air, though, you must have a passport.
The U.S. Department of State provides an informative passport guide that makes it simple to determine whether you need a passport. All you have to do is enter your travel destination.
NOTE: If you are looking for information on passport cards that only allow travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, or Bermuda, please see the State Department’s page about passport cards to learn more about this subject, including how to apply for the card.
If you are traveling out of the country within a month and need a U.S. passport, passport renewal, or to replace a lost or stolen passport a passport expediting service such as Fastport Passport can help. Registered courier services authorized by the U.S. Department of State can expedite passports when traveling within 2 weeks.Expedited Passport & Visa Services
Sponsored by Fastport PassportIf you are traveling international within the next 14 days or need a visa within 30 days, we can help!
Fastport Passport cuts down the processing time for US Passport applications, renewals, and replacements. We are registered with the U.S. Department of State, foreign consulates and embassies this enables us to secure passports and visas as soon as you need them. Fastport Passport can provide expedited passport processing for New Passports, Child Passports, Passport Renewals, Passport Replacements, Passport Cards, Passport Name Changes, Additional Passport Pages, and International Drivers Permits. Expedited services start at $79.Get a Passport Today from Fastport PassportSelect Your Expedited Service
(Only valid if you are traveling within 1 month)
First-time passport applicants must apply in person at any of a variety of local locations (including select post offices, clerk of court offices, and public libraries), or at regional passport agencies.
NOTE: You should only apply at a regional agency if you're traveling within 2 weeks, or you need a foreign visa within 4 weeks. In either case, you must schedule an appointment for your visit by calling the automated appointment system at (877) 487-2778. There isn't an extra fee to make an appointment.
Even if this isn't your first U.S. passport, you'll still need to apply in person if any of the following are true:
- You are under 16 years old.
- Your first U.S. passport was issued when you were younger than 16 years old.
- Your last U.S. passport was stolen, damaged, or lost.
- You obtained your last U.S. passport more than 15 years ago.
- You've changed your name after your last U.S. passport was issued and you can't provide legal documentation for your name change.
Passport Application Requirements
Make sure you have the following with you when you apply for your US passport:
- A completed Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11) that includes your Social Security number (don't sign the form until you're told to do so at the location).
- Proof of citizenship, by means of a certified U.S. birth certificate, undamaged U.S. passport, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth.
- Proof of identity, by means of a valid driver's license, undamaged U.S. passport, Naturalization Certificate, current government ID, current military ID, or undamaged U.S. passport. (If you don't have any of these documents, you may proceed through a secondary means.)
- 1 color passport photographs of yourself taken within the past 6 months that meet all the requirements.
- Payment for the passport (only) fee of either $110 (adult) plus a $25 execution fee, or $80 (younger than 16 years old) plus a $25 execution fee.
- Payment for the passport card (and book) fee of either $140 (adult) plus a $25 execution fee, or $95 (younger than 16 years old) plus a $25 execution fee.
NOTE: Passport agencies accept: Credit cards (MasterCard, Discover, VISA, American Express), debit cards, checks (personal, cashiers, certified, travelers), money orders and bank drafts.
Processing Times and Expedited Services
Your wait time to receive your passport varies depending on the time of year.
Expedited service is also available―for an extra $60 per application, plus the overnight shipping costs. If you're dealing with a life-or-death situation, call the National Passport Information Center at (877) 487-2778 for instructions on how to proceed.
For more information, please visit our Expedited Passport page.
Passports for Minors
Be aware that all travelers―including infants and toddlers―must have their own passport.
U.S. Passport Renewals
Your passport's expiration date depends upon your age when the passport was issued. If you were at least 16 years old when you received your passport, it is valid for 10 years. If you were 15 years old or younger when you got your passport, it will be valid for 5 years.
You can complete a standard passport renewal by mail as long as you meet the following requirements:
- You can submit your passport with your renewal application.
- You received your passport within the past 15 years.
- You were at least 16 years old when it was issued.
- Your name has not changed from how it appears on your current passport OR you can provide documentation proving a name change by marriage or court order.
If you do not meet the requirements, you can follow the steps to apply in person above.
Passport Renewal by Mail
To submit your standard passport renewal by mail, you'll need to:
- Complete a U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals (Form DS-82).
- Include your current passport.
- Provide an acceptable color passport photo.
- Include proper documentation of your name change, if applicable.
- Make a check money order payable to the Department of State for $110 ($140 for the passport book and card).
- Mail your application, fees, and documents to:
National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190
NOTE: If you are a U.S. citizen living outside of the United State, you can renew your passport with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your area.
If there a mistake on your U.S. passport or your name changed since you last used it, follow the instructions provided by the State Department to correct the passport. Depending on your situation, you might face an additional fee.Other Topics in This Section