Passport RenewalPage Overview
A U.S. passport is valid for 10 years if you’re at least 16 years old when it’s issued, and 5 years if you’re younger than 16 years old. If you don't find the info you need below, call (877) 487-2778 for more details on passport renewals.
You may renew your U.S. passport by mail, if all of the following apply to your situation:
- Your undamaged passport can be submitted with your application.
- You received your passport within the past 15 years.
- You were at least 16 years old when you were issued the passport.
- Your passport has your current name, or you can provide legal documentation of your name change.
If any of these conditions aren't met, you must apply for a new passport in person at a local location, such as selected post offices, clerk of court offices, and public libraries, or at a regional passport agency.
If you don't need your US passport in a hurry, complete the following steps:
- Complete the U.S. Passport Renewal Application For Eligible Individuals (Form DS-82) in black ink.
- Be sure to sign and date the form on the first page.
- Locate your current passport.
- Gather 1 color passport photo that is acceptable.
- Make your $110 check or money order payable to the Department of State ($140 for both the passport card and book).
- Locate your legal documentation of your name change (if applicable).
Then, send everything in a padded, weatherproof envelope to:
- National Passport Processing Center
- P.O. Box 90155
- Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
U.S. passports renewed by mail within the United States may only be sent to United States or Canadian addresses.
EXPEDITED PASSPORT & VISA RENEWAL SERVICES
Sponsored by Fastport Passport
Are traveling international within the next 14 days or need a visa within 30 days ?
If so, Fastport Passport can help!
Traveling Within Approximately 2-3 Weeks
If you need your renewal processed in a hurry, follow the instructions listed above, but include payment for an extra $60 to handle the rush fee, and write "expedite" plainly on the envelope. Then, mail everything to:
National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955
Your renewal wait time varies depending on the time of year, but you may check the current general wait time by visiting the application status page.
Those living in a foreign country (other than Canada) should renew their passport in person at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Be sure to take along all the materials listed above, along with your payment.