Special Licenses in Pennsylvania
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Special Driver's Licenses in Pennsylvania
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (DOT) offers different license classes and endorsements specific to the type of vehicle you want to drive and the number of passengers you want to transport.
On this page, you'll find information about some of the special license classes and endorsements available to you.
For more information about applying for a regular, noncommercial driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:
- Applying for a New License in Pennsylvania (Drivers 18+).
- Applying for a New License in Pennsylvania (Teen Drivers).
Certain vehicles and driving professions may require you to hold a commercial driver's license. The application process is similar to that of your regular driver's license. You'll likely need to:
- Pass a class-specific knowledge test.
- Become medically certified.
- Pass a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
For more information, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Pennsylvania page.
PA School Bus Driver's License Requirements
To become a school bus driver in Pennsylvania, you'll need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Pass a physical administered by a school transportation physician.
- Submit a Commercial Learner's Permit Application to Add/Extend/Remove (Form DL-31CD).
- Pass vision and screening tests, as well as exams for a passenger endorsement, school bus endorsement, commercial general knowledge and, if applicable, air brakes.
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours of school bus instructions (14 hours classroom training, 6 hours in-bus training).
- Pass a road test.
- Conduct a simulated or actual railroad crossing and demonstrate the proper techniques, including letting students off a bus.
- Pass a criminal background check conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police.
- Pass a child abuse history check conducted by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare
For more information, please contact the Pennsylvania DMV.
A commercial driver's license (CDL) is only required if you operate a shuttle van or bus designed for 16 passengers or more. If you are going to drive a vehicle made for less than 16 passengers you do not need a CDL.
To become a taxi driver in Pennsylvania, you must:
- Own a valid and current driver's license.
- Present another form of identification.
- Complete a Taxi Driver's Certificate Application.
- Complete a State Police criminal background check within 60 days prior to submitting your Taxi Driver's Certificate Application.
- Complete a driver history background check from the Department of Transportation within 60 days prior to submitting your Taxi Driver's Certificate Application.
For more information, please contact PennDOT.
Pennsylvania does not require a chauffeur's license.
While many sport and off-road vehicles do not require you to hold a special license or endorsement, there may be a minimum age requirement. Certain vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Pennsylvania page.
- Kids under 10 years old cannot operate a snowmobile on public land.
- Kids 10 to 16 years old cannot operate a snowmobile on public land unless they've completed a snowmobile safety course and have a snowmobile safety training certificate.
All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
- Kids under 8 years old cannot operate an ATV on state-owned land.
- Kids who are 8 or 9 years old are restricted to an engine size of 70 cc or less.
- Kids 16 years old can operate an ATV on public land only if they're accompanied by someone 18 years old or older, or if they've completed an ATV safety training course.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.