- Location: Pennsylvania
Special Licenses in PennsylvaniaPage Overview
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Pass a physical administered by a school transportation physician.
- Submit a Commercial Learner's Permit Application.
- Pass vision and screening tests, as well as exams for a passenger endorsement, school bus endorsement, commercial general knowledge and, if applicable, air brakes.
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours of school bus instructions (14 hours classroom training, six hours in-bus training).
- Pass a road test
- Conduct a simulated or actual railroad crossing and demonstrate the proper techniques involving letting students off a bus.
- Pass a criminal background check conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police.
- Pass a child abuse history check conducted by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare
A commercial driver's license (CDL) is not required if you operate a shuttle van or bus designed for 15 passengers or fewer.
- Own a valid and current driver's license.
- Present one other form of identification.
- Complete a Taxi Driver's Certificate Application.
- Accede to a State Police criminal background check within 60 days prior to submitting your Taxi Driver's Certificate Application.
- Accede to a driver history background check from the Department of Transportation within 60 days prior to submitting your Taxi Driver's Certificate Application.
Pennsylvania does not require a chauffeur's license.
- Kids under 10 cannot operate a snowmobile on public land.
- Kids 10 through 16 cannot operate a snowmobile on public land unless they've completed a snowmobile safety course and own a snowmobile safety training certificate.
All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Kids under eight cannot operate an ATV on state-owned land.
- Riders eight and nine are restricted to an engine size of 70cc or less.
- Kids eight through 16 can operate an ATV on public land only if they're accompanied by someone 18 or older, or if they've completed an ATV safety training course.
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License