Renewing Your CDL in Pennsylvania
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will mail you a renewal notice about 3 months prior to the expiration date of your commercial driver's license (CDL). To save the hassle of having to wait in line at a Driver and Vehicle Service Center, this allows you to renew by mail. Unlike a regular driver's license, you cannot renew a CDL online.
You may also be asked to take a new medical exam.
If you are renewing your hazmat endorsement for the first time since the requirements of the US PATRIOT Act became mandatory, you will need to:
- Pass the hazmat recertification knowledge exam.
- Visit any PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Service Center and provide proof of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport, valid birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or certificate of U.S. citizenship) or legal immigration status (permanent resident card, Temporary I-551 stamp in foreign passport, or reentry permit).
- Complete an Application for Security Threat Assessment. This will be included in the mail with your renewal notice. The state forwards this to the Department of Homeland Security.
- Put your fingerprints on record.
- Pay an additional fee for the fingerprinting and background check.
Your CDL will be valid for 4 years, or 2 years if you're 65 or over (the fees shown below reflect this):
- CDL: $69.50 or $39
- CDL with H or X endorsement: $79.50 or $49
- CDL with Class M: $89.50 or $49
- CDL with Class M and H or X endorsement: $99.50 or $59
Mail your renewal application along with a check (made out to "PennDOT") or money order to the address on the form.
You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with PennDOT. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:
- Non-Excepted Interstate
- Excepted Interstate
- Non-Excepted Intrastate
- Excepted Intrastate
If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must, in addition to a completed self-certification application, provide PennDOT with a federal medical certificate.
Visit PennDOT's Fact Sheet page for full information.