Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Pennsylvania

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Pennsylvania Special Vehicle Registration

    In Pennsylvania, you may have a special vehicle, such as a snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle (ATV), or trailer. If this is the case, you will need to have it registered in the state in order to operate it legally and avoid receiving fines and possibly other penalties.

    If you need to know how to register other vehicles, you can visit some of our other pages:

    Snowmobiles and ATVs in PA

    You must register your snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in Pennsylvania unless you're not a PA resident and you plan on using the vehicle for farming or business purposes only.

    To register your ATV or snowmobile, you will need:

    Take the above to an authorized snowmobile and ATV dealer in Pennsylvania (check that they can register your vehicle first) or mail it to:

    Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
    Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section
    P.O. Box 8553
    Harrisburg, PA 17105

    If you are using your ATV on your own private land only, you will not need to carry liability insurance. However, if you wish to ride your ATV on public land or someone else's property, you will need carry proof of insurance with you at all times while riding the vehicle.

    NOTE: If you're not a Pennsylvania resident but wish to ride your snowmobile or ATV in the state, see the registration information for out-of-state riders on the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) website.

    Once you've registered your ATV, it's time to take it for a spin! The PA DCNR website lists all the public places you can ride and explore.

    Pennsylvania Homemade Trailers

    The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) requires that all homemade trailers (or one made from a kit) to be registered.

    You will first need to have your trailer pass a safety inspection. This must take place at a state-approved safety inspection station. Your trailer will be photographed during the inspection.

    After passing, present the inspector or certified document reviewer with:

    For more information, contact the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation directly.

    Motorhomes and Recreational Vehicles

    If you have a motorhome or recreational vehicle (RV) you will also need to register it with the PA Department of Transportation. The process is fairly similar to registering your standard car in the state, however additional forms may be required depending on the type of RV you have.

    For more information, visit our Register Car in Pennsylvania page or contact PennDOT directly.