Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Disability Plates and Placards in Pennsylvania

    SUMMARY: South Carolina Disability License Plates & Placards

    The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) issues handicapped parking permits to PA residents with disabilities. Both temporary and permanent placards are available, as well as permanent license plates. Information is below, such as handicapped parking regulations, application procedures, renewal of placards and plates, and replacing lost or stolen permits.

    Keep reading for more details about applying for disability placards and plates in Pennsylvania.

    Disability Permit Types and Rules

    The PA DMV issues several types of disability parking permits depending on the type of disability you have:

    • Parking placards for both temporary and permanent disabilities.
    • Registration plates if you have a vehicle registered in your name.
    • Veteran and severely disabled veteran registration plates (if your disability sustained while serving in the military).

    Each disability placard or license plate has specific requirements depending on the nature of your disability, your doctor’s medical certification, and vehicle ownership.

    PA Visitors with Disabilities

    If you are visiting from another state, you can use your home state disability parking placard or license plate for handicapped parking in Pennsylvania.

    If you have a PA handicap placard or license plate and you’re traveling outside of the state, all other states will recognize your disability permit.

    Note that you are subject to each individual state’s disabled parking rules and regulations, regardless of which state your placard or plate is from.

    PA Disabled Parking Regulations

    If you have a handicap parking placard or license plate, you may park:

    • In designated disabled parking places.
    • Up to 60 minutes longer in spaces with time limits, unless prohibited by local law.

    No one else can use your disability parking permit. You must either be the passenger or driver of vehicle for your handicap placard or license plate to be valid.

    Apply for a PA Disability Permit

    You can apply by mail for a disability placard or license plate from PennDOT.

    NOTE: Applications must include certification by a doctor. Veteran placards and plates require verification by the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

    Handicap Parking Placards

    PennDOT issues the following types of placards:

    • Temporary placard: Valid for up to 6 months.
    • Permanent placard: Valid for 5 years.
    • Severely disabled veteran placard: Valid for 5 years. Available only to veterans with:
      • 100% service-related disability.
      • A qualifying permanent disability related to military service.

    Your doctor’s certification will determine which placard you are eligible for.

    To apply, you will need the Person with Disability Parking Placard Application (Form MV-145A), which MUST be:

    • Notarized.
    • Certified by one of the following:
      • Doctor or podiatrist.
      • Physician’s assistant.
      • Certified registered nurse practitioner.
      • Police officer (only for some permanent disabilities).
      • VA, required for veteran placards.

    Handicapped parking placards are free.

    When completed, mail your application to:

    Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    P.O. Box 68268
    Harrisburg, PA 17106

    Disability License Plates

    You can apply for a disability license plate in Pennsylvania only if:

    • You have a permanent disability OR you are the parent or guardian of a person with a permanent disability.
    • You are the registered owner of your vehicle.

    To apply for the license plate, you’ll need:

    Mail your form and payment to:

    Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    1101 South Front St.
    Harrisburg, PA 17104

    Disabled Veteran License Plates

    PennDOT offers two types of disabled veteran license plates:

    • The disabled veteran plate: DOES NOT allow the use of disability parking.
    • The severely disabled veteran plate/motorcycle plate decal: Allows disability parking.

    To apply for any PA disabled veteran license plate:

    Renew Your Pennsylvania Handicap Permit

    All handicapped parking permits expire after a certain period of time:

    • Temporary placards: 6 months.
    • Permanent placards: 5 years.
    • Veteran placards: 5 years.
    • All disability license plates and license plate decals are valid for 1 year.

    Renewal methods vary by placard or plate type.

    Temporary Placards

    Temporary disability placards CANNOT be renewed.

    If your temporary placard expires but you still have a disability, you must apply for a new placard and get new medical certification.

    See “ Apply for PA Disability Permit” above for details.

    Permanent Placards

    To renew your permanent placard, you can:

    • Complete and return the renewal form mailed to you by PennDOT.
      • Forms are mailed out about 60 days before your placard expires.
      • Placards expire in either March or September.
      • Complete a new Person with Disability Parking Placard Application (Form MV-145A).
        • You DO NOT need medical certification.
        • You DO NOT need to have the form notarized.

    Return your renewal notice or application by mail to the address on the form.

    License Plates

    All disability license plates and license plate decals can be renewed by renewing your vehicle registration.

    You should receive a registration renewal notice about 90 days before your license plate expires.

    If you don’t receive the notice, you can complete a Request for Registration (Form MV-140) and send it to the address on the form.

    Replace Your Disability Placard/Plate

    If your handicap parking placard or license plate is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a replacement from PennDOT:

    Mail replacement requests to the address on your application.