Voter Registration in Oregon
Voter Registration in Oregon
To exercise your right to vote in Oregon, you must first register to vote. Registration is easy, and can even be done online.
Read below for more information about voter registration in Oregon, including eligibility requirements and deadlines.
Voter Eligibility in Oregon
To register to vote in Oregon, you must be:
- At least 17 years old.
- You cannot vote until you are 18 years old.
- A citizen of the United States as of at least 21 days prior to the voter registration deadline.
- If you become a United States citizen less than 21 days before the voter registration deadline, you may not be able to register in time to vote in the election.
- An Oregon resident.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can register to vote in one of several ways, listed below.
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
Register to Vote in Oregon
You can register to vote in Oregon:
- Online using the My Vote portal.
- Must have current Oregon driver's license or non-driver ID card.
- By mail with the application for an Oregon Voter Registration Card (Form SEL 500).
- Mail the form to your local County Elections office. Offices are listed on the form.
- In person at your local county elections office.
NOTE: Voters who are unable to sign the form because of a disability must also complete the Signature Stamp Attestation Form (Form SEL 540).
Oregon residents may also register to vote when they fill out their driver's license application or vehicle registration at the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV). Voter registration cards may also be obtained at the following places:
- County elections offices.
- The Oregon Secretary of State's office.
- Voter registration drives.
Registering for the First Time
If you are registering to vote by mail AND for the first time in Oregon, a copy of valid identification (ID) must also be provided.
Acceptable ID includes the following:
- Valid photo identification, including driver's license.
- Paycheck stub with name and address.
- Utility bill with name and address.
- Bank statement with name and address.
- A government document with name and address.
You'll be notified by mail when the county elections official receives your registration. If registering for the first time in Oregon, your application must be postmarked by the 21 days before an election in order to vote.
Additional Voting Information
For questions about voter registration or voting, call Oregon's Elections Division at:
- (503) 986-1518.
- TTY: (800) 735-2900.
- Fax: (503) 373-7414.
- E-mail: email@example.com.
Military & Overseas Voter Registration
Oregon provides the same voter registration services for both military personnel and individuals who are overseas. There are a couple of options you can choose.
You can register to vote:
- Through the SOS MyVote site with your Oregon driver's license or non-driver ID.
- Through the Federal Voting Assistance Program using a Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (Form 76).
To cast a ballot, you must register 21 days prior to an election.
Out-of-State & Absentee Voter Registration
Oregon's out-of-state citizens can register to vote using the online or by-mail processes explained above under Register to Vote in Oregon.
Residents who are out of state or otherwise unable to make it to the polls on Election Day can vote by mail or as an absentee voter, depending on their situation.
- Voters unable to make it to the polls can apply to vote by mail.
- Contact your county elections office for application and deadline details.
- Out-of-state voters (including college students) can apply to vote absentee using the state's Absentee Ballot Request Form (SEL 111).
- Contact your county elections office for deadline details.
- Mail the completed form to your county elections office listed on the form.
Changing Your OR Voter Registration
If you move or change your name, you should update your voter registration information.
To change your address on your voter registration:
- Use the SOS MyVote website IF you have an Oregon driver's license or ID.
- Complete and submit the Oregon Voter Registration Card (Form SEL 500) application.
To change your name on your voter registration card, you will need to complete and submit the Oregon Voter Registration Card (Form SEL 500) application.
As long you complete the updated information by 8 p.m. on Election Day, you should be able to cast your ballot. The county elections office may have to issue your ballot if you change your information close to the deadline.