Car Inspection in OregonPage Overview
Although sometimes considered a nuisance, emissions testing for vehicles is critical to improving and maintaining clean air in Oregon, a state known for its incredible natural beauty.
Information about how to obtain a Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) emissions test, how much it costs, and steps to take in the case of failure is all available at the Oregon DEQ website.
The DEQ operates seven Clean Air Stations in the Portland and Medford, or Rogue Valley areas. You may also visit the Oregon DEQ's website to check lane lines at various stations via Webcam.
Before taking a DEQ emissions test, the Oregon DMV advises you to ensure the following:
- Vehicle is in good working condition
- Emissions equipment is functioning and intact
- Vehicle is not smoking
- Drive sufficiently before the test to get engine at normal operating temperature
- Leave engine running with vehicle in neutral or park during test
- Pets are left at home
- Refrain from smoking and cell phone use while in line for DEQ testing
- Vehicle with on-board diagnostics (OBD) are in "Ready" status
- You have appropriate fees.
DEQ accepts cash, money orders and credit and debit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Discover).
Oregon rewards eco-minded drivers by exempting low-speed vehicles, all electric vehicles, and most hybrids from emissions testing.
Learn more about these exemptions as well as other perks for eco-friendly driving at our section on green driver incentives.
Unfortunately, Oregon does not offer repair waivers for vehicles that require expensive repairs to pass the test. However, the state does offer a program to help low-income drivers pay for necessary repairs.Local Smog Check Stations
Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Car Inspection
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸