Renewing Your License in Oregon
Renew Your Oregon Driver's License
In Oregon, your driver's license will be valid for a specific period of time. You'll need to make sure you renew your driver's license with the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) before it expires.
Continue reading this page to find out exactly when and how to renew your OR driver's license.
If you need information about another type of driver's license or permit, see our following pages:
When to Renew Your OR Driver's License
Your OR driver's license is valid for 8 years at a time. To continue to drive legally in the state, you'll need to renew it before it expires.
The Oregon DMV will send you a renewal postcard approximately 2 months before your driver's license expires; however, you can renew up to 14 months before the expiration date.
If you do not receive the reminder, you can still renew your driver's license.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Driver's License
If you happen to misplace your driver's license and it will be expiring within the next 14 months, the Oregon DMV may ask you if you would prefer to simply renew your license instead of replacing it.
For information on the next steps to apply for a duplicate driver's license, visit our page about Replacing a Lost License.
Expired Driver's License
If your driver's license has expired, you have 1 year after the expiration date to go to an Oregon DMV office and renew without having to re-take the knowledge and road tests.
If you are volunteering outside of the U.S. (with a charity, religious organization, or other non-profit) when your license expires, you will have a grace period of 90 days after your return to the United States in which to obtain a renewed license. Keep proof of your overseas volunteering with you at all times during this period.
In the event that you are charged with driving without a valid license, submit proof of your volunteering to the court, and your charge will be dismissed.
To see your driver's license status, you can order a copy of your Oregon driving record.
Renew Your Oregon Driver's License
To renew a valid driver's license, you must appear in person at an Oregon DMV office. You'll need:
- Your current OR driver's license, as you'll need to surrender it.
- Proof of your:
- Full legal name.
- Legal U.S. presence.
- Birth date.
- Oregon residency.
Visit the OR DMV website for a complete list of accepted documents.
- A completed Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (Form 735-173), which will also include a series of medical questions to answer.
- To provide your Social Security number (SSN).
- Payment for your driver's license renewal fee of $40 for a regular Class C non-commercial driver's license.
- Payment must be made by cash or check.
You may also need to:
- Have your photograph taken.
- Pass a DMV vision screening, if you are 50 years old or older.
- Pass the written and driving tests, if your driver's license has been expired for longer than 1 year.
Out-of-State Residents & Military
If you are an Oregon resident temporarily out of the state and cannot visit your local Oregon DMV office to process your renewal, you may request a "Valid Without Photo" driver's license packet by calling the DMV at (503) 945-5000.
Follow the instructions included in the packet to renew your driver's license by mail.
Active-Duty Military Members
If you are stationed outside of Oregon serving on active duty in the military (including a spouse or dependent), you can request a Valid-With-Previous-Photo (VWPP) driver's license.
To start, you'll need to send an online inquiry to the Oregon DMV. You'll need to provide the address you would like the VWPP sent to, a phone number, and e-mail address. Once you receive your VWPP packet, you'll need to complete and sign the included forms:
- VWPP Driver License/ID Card Application.
- VWPP Driver License/ID Card Proof of Good Cause/Waiver Form.
- Certification of Oregon Residency and Domicile (Form 735-7182).
- Certificate of Vision (Form 735-24), if you're more than 50 years old.
Next, you'll need to gather the following:
- A copy of your current Leave Earning Statement (LES) that displays Oregon as your home residence.
- A copy of your valid Military ID card (front and back).
- Proof of your Social Security number (SSN).
- Payment for the $40 renewal fee (by check or money order).
Finally, mail the above documents and payment to:
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Fees to Renew Your OR Driver's License
The fee to renew your regular Class C driver's license in Oregon is $40.
Oregon DMV offices only accept the following payment methods:
Many DMV offices have ATMs available as they do not accept credit or debit cards. Checks must be made payable to Oregon DMV. Be sure to contact your local Oregon DMV office for more information.
heroes have registered as organ donors.