Registration Renewal in Oregon
Vehicle Registration Renewal in Oregon
Before your Oregon vehicle registration expires, you must renew it with the OR Department of Transportation (DOT) Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV).
On this page you’ll find information about renewing your registration online, by mail, and in person.
About 45 â€“ 60 days before your vehicle registration expires, the Oregon DMV will mail you a renewal notice/application.
Your vehicle may need to pass a Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) emissions test. Please see “Oregon Vehicle Inspections & Emissions Testing” below.
If you’ve lost or never received your renewal notice, you will still be able to renew by mail or in person (see “Renew Your OR Vehicle Registration” below). If you want to renew your OR vehicle registration online, you’ll need to request a renewal notice by:
- Calling the Oregon DMV at (503) 945-5000.
- Using the online request form on the Oregon DMV website.
You can renew your Oregon DMV vehicle registration either online, by mail, or in person.
You can renew your vehicle registration online if:
- Your vehicle registration has been expired for less than 75 days.
- You are not required to get an emissions test AND you are not required to submit a Declaration of Exemption (Form 735-1400).
- You are required to get an emissions test AND your vehicle has passed the test.
- Your vehicle is not a tow truck or classified as a heavy vehicle.
- You want to receive your registration card and stickers at your regular address.
- You are not making any changes other than an address change.
- You have a registration renewal notice from the Oregon DMV.
NOTE: If you live in Multnomah County, you can only renew online if you lived in the county the last time you renewed your vehicle registration. If you have moved out of the county since you last renewed, you cannot renew online.
To renew your registration online, visit the Oregon DMV website and provide:
- Your renewal access code, found on your renewal notice.
- Your vehicle’s title and license plate number.
- Payment for the registration renewal fee. (See “Fees to Renew Your OR Vehicle Registration” below.)
Once you have completed your vehicle registration renewal, you will be able to print a receipt. You will receive your new Oregon registration documents and license plate sticker in the mail.
By Mail or In Person
To renew your Oregon DMV registration by mail, you’ll need:
- Your completed renewal notice/application.
- A completed Application for Registration, Renewal, Replacement or Transfer of Plates and/or Stickers (Form 735-268), if you don’t have your renewal notice.
- A DEQ emissions Declaration of Exemption (Form 735-1400), if applicable.
- Payment. (See “Fees to Renew Your OR Vehicle Registration” below.)
Take the above in person to your local Oregon DMV office or mail it to:
DMV Registration Renewal
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
NOTE: If your vehicle is required to get an emissions test, you can submit your registration renewal application and payment at the Oregon DEQ testing station when it passes the test.
If your vehicle is registered in the Portland or Medford area, it must pass a Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) emissions test if it is:
- Model year 1975 or newer, if you live in the Portland area.
- Vehicle is 20 years old or less, if you live in the Medford area.
- Gas-powered, a hybrid, or powered by alternative fuels.
- Diesel-powered and has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs or less. Your GVWR can often be found on a sticker placed in the frame of your vehicle's door.
To check if you are exempt from emissions testing in Oregon, contact the DEQ at:
- (971) 673-1630.
- Toll-free: (877) 476-0583.
To get your vehicle inspected, visit your local vehicle inspection station.
If you are temporarily out of state, you can renew your vehicle registration online or by mail. (See “Renew Your OR Vehicle Registration” above.)
If your vehicle is required to pass an emissions test, you should contact the Department of Environmental Quality to see how you can meet the emissions testing requirements.
- Phone: (503) 229-5696.
- E-mail: DEQInfo@deq.state.or.us.
Fees to renew your vehicle registration in Oregon differ depending on the type of vehicle you own and which county you live in. To renew your registration for 2 years, it will cost you the following:
- Light trailers:$86.
- Low-speed vehicles: $86.
- Hybrid and electric motorcycle: $43.
- Motorcycles/mopeds: $48.
- Hybrid and electric passenger vehicles: $86.
- Passenger vehicles: $86.
For a full list of registration renewal fees in Oregon, visit the OR DMV website.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
- Online renewals: VISA and MasterCard credit/debit cards.
- By-mail renewals: Check or money order.
- In-person renewals: Cash or check only.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.