DMV Driver Handbook in Oregon
The Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) has various manuals and handbooks online to help you become a safer driver. These include the OR driver's manual, commercial driver manual, and motorcycle operator handbook. You can also access the OR Vehicle Code online.
Continue reading this page to find links to the driving manuals and DMV handbooks available in Oregon.
You can access the Oregon Driver Manual (Form 735-37) on the OR DMV website. It is also offered in Spanish and audio format. Various topics are covered in the DMV handbook, including:
- Rules of the road in OR.
- How to apply for an instructional permit or driver's license.
- Changing your name or address on your driver's license.
- Renewing or replacing your driver's license.
- Registering to vote.
- Vision, knowledge, and road tests.
- Highway signs, signals and markings.
- Yielding and right of way.
- Overtaking and passing.
Studying the Oregon driving manual is always a good idea, but it can also be time consuming. Our certified partner offers comprehensive online practice tests that are designed to help you pass the written exam on your first attempt!
If you're applying for your Oregon commercial driver's license (CDL), you'll need to study the Oregon Commercial Driver License Manual (Form 735-36). The CDL driver's manual full of important information you'll need to know before taking your DMV exams, such as:
- How to study for the written and road skills tests.
- Transporting cargo and passengers safely.
- Air brakes.
- Combination vehicles.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- School buses.
In addition to reading the CDL DMV handbook, you can get more help with studying for the CDL exam, you can take an online OR CDL practice test.
If you're applying for an OR motorcycle license, read through the Oregon Motorcycle and Moped Operator Manual (Form 735-6367) and Motorcycle and Moped Skills Test Pamphlet (Form 735-7135). Subjects covered in the motorcycle DMV handbook include:
- Face and eye protection.
- SIPDE (Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute).
- What to do in the event of an accident.
- Staying visible.
- Being alert.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Passing and merging.
To help you pass the Oregon DMV exam, take an online motorcycle practice test, in addition too reviewing the motorcycle driving manual.
The Oregon DMV also provides online access to the following DMV manuals:
- Parent Guide to Teen Driving (Form 735-7190).
- What to Expect on Your Drive Test (also available in Spanish).
- Vehicle License Plate Manual.
- Guide to Oregon Driving Records.
- Bicyclist Manual (also available in Spanish).
- Insure Your Driving Privilege (also available in Spanish).
- Smart Buyer: A Consumer Protection Guide for Used Car Buyers.
In addition to the DMV handbooks and drivers manual, other resources are available to Oregon drivers.
The Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) provides online access to the Vehicle Code, which contains details about all laws related to traffic violations, driver's licenses, vehicles, and other rules of the road.
If you've recently received a traffic ticket, the vehicle code may help you fight the charge.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!