- Location: Oregon
Paperwork When Buying a Car in OregonGet detailed Vehicle History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:
When buying a vehicle in Oregon, purchasers should go through the normal registration process using the title with transfer signed by seller.
To transfer the title with the sale of a vehicle in Oregon, follow these steps:
- Fill out an Application for Replacement Title, and ensure all owners on record have signed
- Complete an Application for Title and Registration, including new owner information
- Provide release of interest from the previous owner(s)
- Provide a bill of sale or lien release
This is normally part of the standard paperwork with a new car. For used cars, the Oregon DMV advises buyers to be cautious regarding vehicles with trip permits.
As a buyer you may also have a vehicle checked for free by Oregon DEQ stations to ensure the vehicle is functioning properly and will pass emissions testing, which is required in the Portland and Medford areas.
Buying a Vehicle Without a Title
Do not purchase a vehicle that does not have a title. The DMV holds the seller responsible for providing the buyer with the title. If the seller cannot find their title, they should file for a title replacement.
If you have bought a vehicle and the seller didn't provide you with the title, you might be able to have a new title issued to you―but only if the vehicle is not subject to odometer disclosure requirements.
Buying a Vehicle Without a Registration
You can purchase a vehicle without its registration. However, it's then your responsibility to register the car with the DMV.
Bill of Sale
Depending on your situation (see our Car Registration page for more details), a bill of sale may be necessary for registering and titling your vehicle. If needed, you can easily download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard