Dealer Licensing in Oregon
In Oregon, generally, to sell any vehicle that is not your own and used for personal or household use, you need to have a dealer's license. Becoming an automobile dealer in Oregon is a matter of applying and submitting the following items together to the DMV headquarters in Salem:
- Completed Original Application for Three Year Vehicle Dealer Certificate as a Dealer or Rebuilder of Vehicles (form 735-370).
- Signed surety bond ($40,000).
- Liability insurance certification―must use the DMV form and have it stamped by your insurance company.
- Education certificate from approved provider or DMV Education Requirements Certificate of Exemption Form (Form 370C)
- Fee payment.
- Fees are listed on the front of the application.
- Plate billing list (renewal applications only).
Forms and fees may be turned in at the DMV headquarters in Salem, or may be mailed to the address below. Dealer application packets are also available by calling (503) 945-5052 or by requesting them by mail at the following address:
- Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division
- Business Regulation
- 1905 Lana Ave NE
- Salem, OR 97314
A $40,000 bond form from the Oregon DMV must be completed, signed and sealed by your bonding company with the applicant's signature as well.
Another necessary form is the liability insurance certification form provided by the DMV, which must be completed, signed, and stamped by your insurance company. The DMV also accepts an insurance company form furnished by the insurance company as long as it duplicates the DMV form. "ACORD" binders or forms are not accepted by the Oregon DMV. Dealers must show proof of continuing education (12 hours) and education certificates must be furnished by an approved organization.
Education certificates must be original, and copies are not accepted.
Dealer applications take about 10 business days to process, and no dealer business can take place until the application has been approved.Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸