Vehicle Code in Oregon
Registering a car?
It's a good time to check car insurance rates
Find the lowest rate among top providers.Page Overview
Behind the laws, regulations, and enforcement of Oregon's streets, roads, and freeways, is a legal framework called the vehicle code. The Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) periodically compiles it into a book known as the vehicle code.
In addition to ensuring the safety of both motorists and others, including cyclists and pedestrians, the Oregon vehicle code can serve to clarify questions that are bound to come up about vehicles and driving.
If you've recently received a traffic ticket, you may find it beneficial to look through to motor vehicle code to determine whether or not you'll be able to contest the citation.
If you have specific questions regarding your driver's license or vehicle registration, you should contact the Oregon DMV directly. If you are looking for legal advice or assistance, you should consider contacting a lawyer.
For more information related to traffic laws and penalties, please visit our pages on:
Oregon's vehicle code, currently applicable to the state's residents and roads, is available online.
The entire vehicle code can be downloaded, but it is a fairly large, and in some cases, may take some time. Instead of downloading the entire vehicle code, you can also use the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division website to just look at a section of the code. The site splits up the vehicle code into separate chapters.
The chapters available include:
- General provisions and definitions.
- Administrative provisions.
- Vehicle title and registration.
- Special registration provisions.
- Financial responsibility law.
- Refusal, suspension, cancellation and revocation of registration, title, driving privileges and identification card; vehicle impoundment.
- Driving under the influence of intoxicants.
- Vehicle equipment: Lights.
- Off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; all-terrain vehicles.
- Violations and traffic offenses.
- Registration of commercial vehicles.
- Rules of the road for drivers.
- Vehicle limits.
- Special provisions for certain vehicles.
- Pedestrians; passengers; livestock; motorized wheelchairs; vehicles with fewer than four wheels.
You may also purchase a hard copy of the Oregon vehicle code for $7. Send a request in writing along with the payment to:
DMV Record Services
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your Oregon driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your driver's license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what the Oregon DMV has on record. This report will also show points against your driver's license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.
Points on your driving record can not only lead to suspensions, but they can also cause Oregon DMV fines, driving restrictions, and higher insurance rates. If you want to shop around for a new car insurance policy, you can begin with our car insurance center.Other Topics in This Section