- Location: Oklahoma
Special Licenses in OklahomaPage Overview
You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) to drive:
- A vehicle whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds and is towing a vehicle with an actual, registered, or GVWR of over 10,000 pounds (class A license)
- A vehicle whose actual, registered, or GVWR is over 26,000 pounds and is not towing another vehicle with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds (class B license)
- A vehicle weighing under 26,000 pounds and designed to either transport at least 16 people (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials (class C license)
If you need to apply for a CDL, be sure to check our informative articles on commercial driving.
Certain driving professions require having endorsements in addition to a CDL, while others don't require a CDL. We'll sort out some common scenarios below.
School bus drivers must have a CDL, along with a passenger ("P") and a school bus ("S") endorsement.
Applicants also need to attend a workshop, and may find out more about this requirement by contacting their local school district transportation office.
Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. Drivers may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger or other endorsements. Check with the potential employer to find out what is needed for the particular situation.
Taxi drivers only need to have a valid driver's license, although local jurisdictions may impose additional requirements.
While there aren't any statewide special requirements for chauffeurs, applicants may need to obtain additional certification (such as a paratransit certificate) or licensing, depending on where they live and the type of vehicle they'll be operating.
Oklahomans aren't required to have a special license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or an off-road vehicle (OHV). However, if you're crossing a public road or highway in one of these vehicles, you'll need to have a driver's license.Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License