DMV Point System in OklahomaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Most drivers are aware of the points system used by Oklahoma to keep track of your driving record, but few really know and understand what those points are, how they are accumulated, and what they mean. And that's good―if you don't know much about it, it must mean you're a good driver!
But even if you are a superb, safe, and never-ticketed driver, it's a good idea to have a basic understanding of the points system. Insurance companies use your driving record as part of what determines your insurance rates and the Department of Public Safety uses it to determine the status of your license.
Gain too many points and you could end up with a suspended or even revoked license.
Your driver's license starts off with no points, known as a "clean" driving record. Each time you are convicted of a traffic offense, you begin to accumulate points against your record. If you accumulate 10 points on your license over a 5-year period, your license will be suspended.
The following offenses will earn you points:
- Operating a defective vehicle.
- Violation of license restriction.
- Careless driving.
- Following too close or improperly.
- Failure to obey stop sign or traffic light.
- Failure to yield right-of-way.
- Left of center or wrong way on a one-way street.
- Reckless driving.
- Failure to stop or remain stopped for a school bus while it is loading or unloading.
See the Oklahoma Driver's Manual for a detailed list of violations and assigned points.
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record at the DPS. This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.
Points can be reduced by the following ways:
True or False
- You will have 2 points removed for each 12 month period in which you do not receive another pointable ticket.
- If you go for 3consecutive years after your last violation with no violations, all points will be removed from your driving record and you will revert to a clean driving record.
- You may also reduce your driving record by 2 points if you attend traffic school. More information about Oklahoma traffic schools can be found in our Tickets and Traffic School section.
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.