Car Insurance in Oklahoma
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
Car Insurance in Oklahoma
Oklahoma law requires that all registered vehicles be insured. This is to help guarantee that drivers are able to pay for costs that arise from car accidents.
Oklahoma Car Insurance Requirements
To fulfill Oklahoma’s car insurance laws, your policy must include liability insurance to help you cover the costs associated with injuries or property damage from an accident you cause.
Oklahoma requires that your liability insurance include the following minimum coverages per accident:
- $25,000 for injury or death, per person.
- $50,000 total for injury or death if multiple people were hurt in the accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Optional Car Insurance
While Oklahoma law only requires you to have liability coverage, you may want to purchase other types of coverage to help further protect you financially.
When shopping for car insurance, consider adding the following common coverage types to your policy:
- Collision – This will help pay for damages to your car after you’ve been in an accident.
- Comprehensive – This will assist you with non-accident-related damages to your vehicle, such as those that occur due to theft, fire, and water.
- Medical payments – This coverage will help cover your medical costs if you are injured in an accident.
- Uninsured motorist – This will help pay for your costs if you are hit by a driver who is uninsured.
NOTE: While collision and comprehensive coverages are not required by law, they are often required as part of a car loan or lease agreement.
Proof of Insurance
In Oklahoma, you must be able to provide proof of insurance when registering your car and during traffic stops.
Proof of insurance is issued to you by your insurance company and must include:
- Name of your car insurance carrier.
- Address of your insurance carrier.
- NAIC* number of your insurance company.
- Inquire with your insurance carrier about this number.
- Your name.
- Your car’s:
- The beginning and ending dates of your policy.
- A warning to you that you must:
- Surrender a copy of your proof of insurance upon registering your car.
- Keep another copy with your car at all times.
- The following statement:
- “Examine policy exclusions carefully. This form does not constitute any part of your insurance policy.”
* National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Insurance Verification System
In addition to asking for your proof of insurance during the registration process, Oklahoma has an electronic insurance verification system to help monitor your car insurance.
All car insurance companies in Oklahoma must report your car insurance status to the system.
If you are caught driving without insurance, you face the following penalties:
- A fine of up to $250.
- 30 days in jail.
- Suspension of your driver’s license.
- Suspension of your vehicle registration.
Oklahoma Automobile Insurance Plan
While all registered vehicles in Oklahoma must be insured, car insurance companies do have the right to refuse coverage to drivers they feel are high-risk.
If you are unable to find a company willing to insure you, you may be able to obtain your coverage through Oklahoma’s Automobile Insurance Plan.
Contact the Plan at (405) 842-0844 to see if they can help you find car insurance.
Other Car Insurance Issues
If you have a concern about how your insurance claim is being addressed, you can request the assistance of the Oklahoma Insurance Department.
You can submit a complaint with the Department:
- By mail or fax:
- Complete the Request for Assistance form and either:
- Mail to the address on the form.
- Fax to (405) 521-6652.
- Submit supporting documentation with the form (see below).
- Complete the Request for Assistance form and either:
When you submit a complaint, remember to:
- Complete every section on the form and sign it.
- Provide as detailed information as possible.
- Submit copies of:
- Phone logs.
- Other relevant documentation.
Car Insurance Fraud
Insurance companies lose a large sum of money annually due to insurance fraud. Those losses often get passed down to you through increases in rates.
Car insurance fraud commonly involves:
- Staging accidents.
- Falsifying or exaggerating injuries.
- Falsifying or exaggerating property damage.
If you suspect car insurance fraud, you can report it to the Oklahoma Insurance Department fraud unit:
- Online at the OID website.
- By mail:
- Complete an Anti-Fraud Unit Complaint Form and mail it to the address listed on the form.
- By phone at (800) 522-0071.
Determining Your Car Insurance Premium
Several factors go into determining your car insurance rates in Oklahoma.
When comparing car insurance quotes, consider that the following will factor into your premium:
- Your driving record.
- Insurance companies can review the past 3 years of your driving history.
- Your car’s:
- The primary location where you keep your car.
- Your age and gender.
- Your credit history.
Car Insurance Discounts
A great way to save on Oklahoma car insurance is to take advantage of discounts.
As you are shopping for car insurance, inquire about the following common discounts:
- Good driver.
- Good student.
- Anti-theft device.
- Safety device.
When you are comparison-shopping for the lowest insurance quote, remember to always ask about how discounts can help you get the cheapest rates. Don’t forget, however, that the biggest factor in low rates is a clean driving record.Choose a State:
Local Auto Insurance
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Choose a County
Insurance Resource Center
- Le Flore
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- Six Common Car Insurance Myths
- Car Insurance Statute of Limitations
- Why Car Insurance Rates Go Up After Accidents
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims