Suspended CDL in Ohio
Commercial Driver’s License Suspensions in Ohio
If your commercial driver’s license (CDL) was suspended/disqualified by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), you’ll need to satisfy your suspension requirements to reinstate it.
Your CDL may be disqualified/suspended for reasons including:
- Multiple serious traffic offenses.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI).
- Refusing to submit a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test when pulled over on suspicion of a DUI.
- Felonies involving a vehicle.
- Violating out-of-service orders.
On this page you’ll find information about your CDL suspension and how to reinstate your license.
The duration of your commercial driver’s license suspension/disqualification and your reinstatement requirements will vary depending on your offense.
For information about your suspension, please refer to your OH BMV suspension notice or check your BMV records on the BMV website.
NOTE: Depending on your suspension/disqualification, you may also face additional criminal court convictions, fines, penalties, and a suspension of your non-commercial driving privileges.
Your CDL and privilege to drive a commercial vehicle are subject to state and federal regulations, including the following suspensions:
- 1 year: 1st violation for a major offense, such as:
- DUI/DWI or drug-related offenses.
- Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
- Hit and runs.
- Using a vehicle in a felony.
- 3 years: 1st violation for a major offense while transporting hazardous materials.
- Lifetime: 2nd violation for major offenses.
- 60 – 120 days: Multiple serious traffic violations within 3 years, such as:
- Reckless driving.
- Driving without the necessary endorsements.
- 60 – 120 days: Railroad highway grade crossing violations, depending on the number of violations you’ve committed.
- 180 days to 3 years: Violating out-of-service orders.
NOTE: Your CDL can be disqualified if you have a BAC of 0.04% or higher while driving a commercial vehicle. If any amount of alcohol is detected in your system, you can be placed out of service for 24 hours.
Depending on your offense, the Ohio BMV may also suspend your non-commercial driving privileges. For more information, please see our Suspended License in Ohio page.
Check Your Commercial Driver License Status
Accidents and violations can lead to points on your Ohio BMV driving record and cause a suspension of both your CDL and non-commercial driver’s license.
If you accumulate 5 points on your driving record, the OH BMV will send you a warning letter.
You can order your driving record to find out how many points you have and what offenses you’ve committed.
If you want to contest your CDL disqualification/suspension, you must request an Ohio BMV administrative hearing within 30 days of receiving your disqualification notice.
Follow the instructions on your notice, or contact the Ohio BMV at (614) 752-7500 for more information.
If your hearing request is accepted, your disqualification will be placed on hold.
NOTE: OH BMV administrative hearings have no effect on court convictions. If you want to contest a suspension caused by a court conviction, you must contact the court.
Your reinstatement requirements will vary depending on the reason for your CDL disqualification and whether or not your non-commercial driving privileges are also suspended.
NOTE: To prevent reinstatement delays, the OH BMV recommends that you mail any suspension requirements and pay your fees at least 20 days before the end of your suspension.
To reinstate your suspended license/disqualified CDL, you may need to:
- Wait out the duration of your suspension/disqualification.
- Satisfy any court requirements/fines, if applicable.
- Complete a remedial driving course, if required.
- Retake and pass the commercial driving knowledge and skills tests, if required.
- File and maintain SR22 insurance for 3 – 5 years, for non-compliance suspensions.
- Pay your reinstatement fees. (See “Fees to Reinstate Your Ohio CDL” below.)
You must mail any required documents to:
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Attn. RE Fee
P.O. Box 16520
Columbus OH 43216-6520
NOTE: You must retake the CDL knowledge and skills tests if your license class was downgraded or your license was expired for more than 6 months during your suspension.
You can pay your reinstatement fees:
- By mail to the address above or the address indicated on your suspension notice.
- In person at your local Ohio BMV office.
- By phone by calling 1-866-OPLATES (675-2837).
- Online at the Ohio BMV website.
If you visit an OH BMV office in person, you may need to provide proof of your identity and Ohio residency. For a complete list of accepted documents, please see the Ohio BMV website.
Your reinstatement fees will vary depending on the reason for your suspension/disqualification. Included below are general reinstatement fees.
NOTE: You may face additional fines if you were convicted in court.
- DUI/DWI conviction or BAC test refusal/failure: $475.
- Insurance law violations:
- Random selection: $100.
- 1st offense: $100.
- 2nd offense within 5 years: $300.
- 3rd offense within 5 years: $600.
- Accumulating too many driving record points: $40.
- CDL duplicate/replacement: $27.
- CDL renewal: $44.75.
- CDL tests:
- Pre-trip inspection: $10.
- Off-road maneuvering: $10.
- On-road test: $30.
For a complete list of reinstatement fees, read the Driver License Reinstatement Procedures.
To view your specific reinstatement fees and requirements, please refer to your suspension notice or access your records on the Ohio BMV website.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
The Ohio BMV accepts the following forms of payment:
- In person: Cash, check, and money order.
- By mail: Check or money order.
- Online/by phone: Using your checking account information.
NOTE: Checks and money orders must be made payable to “Ohio State Treasurer.”
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!