Renewing Your CDL in Ohio
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Every 4 years, you'll need to make a trip to a deputy registrar's office to renew your Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
If you're in the clean-driver category, all you'll have to do is:
- Pass the vision test
- Provide any updated information
- Pay therenewal fee
If you want to upgrade your license, you'll also need to pass all of the additional testing requirements that may be needed, such as a written or driving test. You may be asked to have a completed Medical Examination Report(Form 649-F) or a medical certificate. If you want to either retain or upgrade a hazardous materials endorsement, you'll have to pass the written test.
Now, if you wait to apply for your renewal, you'll have to retake both the CDL written and skills tests. The same goes for if you've been convicted of any of the following the period before your renewal:
- Speeding ticket while driving a commercial vehicle.
- Reckless operation offense.
- Traffic offense that results in a fatal accident.
- Any traffic offense that is deemed serious by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation.
You'll also need to certify that in the preceding period you:
- Have held only one license.
- Have not had any license suspended, revoked, or canceled.
- Have not had any violations connected with a traffic accident while operating a commercial vehicle.
- Have not been in an accident in which you were at fault while operating a commercial vehicle.
- Have not been guilty of any of the disqualification offenses described in Ohio Revised Code 4506.16.
You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Ohio BMV. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:
- Non-Excepted Interstate
- Excepted Interstate
- Non-Excepted Intrastate
- Excepted Intrastate
If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must provide the BMV with a federal medical certificate.
Submit a completed self-certification application (Form BMV 2159) by:
- Faxing to: (614) 308-5181
- E-mailing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivering to any BMV office
- Mailing to:
- Ohio BMV
- CDL/Out of State Processing
- P.O. Box 16784
- Columbus, OH 43216
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.