Organ Donation in Ohio
Nearly half of all drivers in Ohio are registered as organ donors. You can also join the cause by saying “YES” to organ donation and giving the gift of life to someone in need when you pass away.
After you register with the Ohio Donor Registry:
- There is NO impact on the quality of medical care you receive.
- You still have the option of having an open casket funeral service.
- Your family will NOT be charged anything extra because you’re a donor.
For more information on the common misconceptions about organ donation, please read our page about The 10 Most Common Myths About Organ Donation.
If you are less than 18 years old, you will need the consent of your parent or guardian to become an organ donor.
You may register as an organ donor in person, by mail, or online.
NOTE: If you recently moved or need to update/check your organ donor information, please contact the Ohio Donor Registry.
The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) will ask if you would like to become a donor every time you apply for or renew your driver’s license or ID card.
When you say “YES” to organ donation on your license application, you officially consent to give the gift of your organs, tissues, or eyes upon your death for any purpose within the law.
NOTE: Your registration at the BMV does NOT include the donation of bone marrow, blood, or your complete body for research.
You may register online for organ donation at the Ohio Donor Registry website.
NOTE: You must have a valid Ohio driver’s license or identification card to enroll.
To register as an Ohio organ donor by mail:
- Download and complete an Organ Donor Register Enrollment (Form BMV 3346).
- You may also visit any BMV driver license branch to obtain this form.
- Mail the form to:
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Attn: BMV Records
P.O. Box 16520
Columbus, OH 43216
You can also make a difference by:
- Giving a cash donation to the Second Chance Trust Fund, which works to increase awareness of the importance of eye, organ, and tissue donation.
- You can also make a $1 donation to the fund when you obtain or renew your driver’s license or identification card.
- Volunteering as a Donate Life Ambassador.
- Spreading the word!
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.