BMV Driver Handbook in Ohio
In Ohio, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) has various driving manuals and DMV handbooks available, such as the OH driving handbook, commercial driver's handbook, and motorcycle guide. To learn more about the traffic laws in Ohio, you can read the Vehicle Code.
Continue reading this page for links to the various DMV handbooks and drivers manuals in Ohio.
In the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws (Form HSY 7607) you'll learn about topics related to OH traffic laws, drivers, and vehicles. In this driver's manual, you will find information on these topics including:
- Ohio traffic laws, signs, and signals.
- How to apply for an OH driver's license.
- Vehicle registration and title.
- Commercial driver licensing (CDL), including:
- Motorcycle laws and regulations.
- Defensive driving.
The Ohio driver handbook is also offered in other langauges:
- Spanish: Compedio de las Leyes de Ohio Vehículos Motorizados (Form HSY 0008).
- Somali: Qoraalka Sharciyada Gawaarida Ohio (Form HSY 7608).
A perfect complement to studying the Ohio Drivers Handbook is preparing for the written exam with a comprehensive online practice test. These industry-leading study guides were created to help you pass the test on your first attempt.
The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) provides online access to the Motorcycle Operator Manual (Form MOP 0001) to help you prepare for the knowledge test in Ohio. Topics covered in the motorcycle driving manual include:
- How to apply for an OH motorcycle license.
- Hazardous driving conditions.
- Proper motorcycle gear.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Motorcycle maintenance.
- How to safely carry a passenger and cargo.
- Group riding.
Within the drivers manual are sample test questions. You can also study further by taking a practice test.
NOTE: The OH Motorcycle Handbook is also available in Spanish—Manual del Conductor de Motocicleta (Form MOP 0041).
Before getting your commercial driver's license (CDL) in Ohio, you'll need to study the Ohio Commercial Driver License Handbook (Form HSY 7605). The drivers manual contains information about the following topics:
- CDL requirements and fees.
- Transporting passengers and cargo safely.
- Pre-trip vehicle inspections.
- Hazardous materials.
- Air brakes.
- CDL driver disqualifications.
In addition to the DMV manual, browse through the Ohio Vehicle Code for details about Ohio driver's licenses, vehicle registration and titling, and traffic laws. Along with the information you can find in the various DMV handbooks, you should have a great pool of resources when it comes to motor vehicle operation in your state.