Driver Handbook in Ohio
Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws
The Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws is required reading if you're preparing to get your Ohio driving permit or license.
It's even a good idea for licensed, experienced drivers to have a copy of it handy as it contains a lot of useful information, including some things that you may have forgotten since you first passed your driving test.
You may also download the following handbooks in PDF format:
- Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws (English version)
- Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws (Spanish version)
- Commercial Driver License Manual
You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print the PDF files. Download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe website.
After downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can click on the link to view and print the manual.
Below is a list of the chapters, and some of the information contained in those chapters:
Other Topics in This SectionOrgan Donation Survey
- Driver Licensing and Vehicle Registration (In-State) - how to obtain a license, renewing your license, foreign driver license, organ donation, living will, titling information.
- Driver Licensing and Vehicle Registration (New Residents) - how to obtain a license, title, and license plates.
- Commercial Driver Licensing - CDL classes, endorsements and restrictions, exemptions, testing, and procedures for obtaining a license.
- Motorcycle and Motorized Bicycle Regulations - laws and regulations, applying for license, sharing the road with motorcyclists, special laws, and mopeds.
- Vehicle Equipment Regulations - items checked, certificates.
- Traffic Laws - turns, lanes, yielding, stopping, passing, speed limits, parking, railroad crossings, safety belts, child restraints, and driving under suspension.
- Signs, Signals, and Pavement Markings - warning signs, crossings, schools, construction, pedestrians, no passing zones.
- Traffic Crash Reporting Requirements - what to do in case of a crash, and what to do if you hit a deer.
- Special Conditions - night driving, winter driving, driving in fog, freeway driving, when to use lights, defensive driving, and sharing the road with trucks.
- Bicycles - traffic laws, bicycle laws, and sharing the road with bicyclists.
- Pedestrians - using crosswalks, hitching, reflective clothing, and signs and signals.
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸