- Location: Ohio
Custom Built Car Registration in OhioCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
While it takes a lot of time and work to custom-build a car, the registration process for your masterpiece isn't nearly as complicated.
The BMV offers an information page about the required vehicle inspection your car will have to undergo.
All custom-built cars must be inspected by the Ohio State Highway Patrol to make sure you're the legal owner of all parts and components, and also to make sure your documentation is in order. The inspection doesn't measure vehicle safety or even whether the vehicle is fit for public roads.
Follow the inspection process as follows:
- Visit your local deputy registrar's branch for an inspection application. Pay the required fee and get a receipt (you'll need to show the receipt at the inspection).
- Make an appointment with an inspection facility (scroll down for addresses).
- At your inspection, present the required documents:
- Original titles, receipts, or bills of sale for all components that were replaced or added to the vehicle. Receipts must be notarized if they're from private party sales.
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (for cars built from kits).
The inspection will not proceed if any documentation is missing. It might also be necessary to remove parts of the vehicle for closer inspection, upon the inspector's request.
If any parts or components have VIN numbers matching records of stolen vehicles, your car could be impounded immediately and held as evidence.
Once the vehicle has passed the inspection, you'll be given the completed inspection form. Take this document with you to register your vehicle.
From this point onward, the registration process should match the process for any other car. Please see Car Registration on this site for complete details.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks