Dealer-related Information in OhioPage Overview
Your license application can be denied for a number of reasons, including the following:
- You have falsified information or lied about facts on your application.
- You are considered "of bad business repute" and/or you've made a habit of defaulting on your financial responsibilities.
- You are promoting yourself as an authorized seller of vehicles from a manufacturer that has not given written authority for you to do so.
- You've been found guilty of past fraudulent actions concerning the sale or lease of motor vehicles.
- You are financially insolvent.
- You have been denied a dealer's license within the past 12 months, or have had a dealer's license revoked.
- You have no established business location to carry out your dealer responsibilities.
All personnel hired to sell vehicles at your dealership must be licensed by the Ohio BMV. They are prohibited by law from selling vehicles until the license has been obtained. The salesperson will need to fill out an Application for Ohio Salesperson's License (Form BMV 4301) , and also go through the fingerprinting process, much like you did to obtain your dealer license.
The license is good for a year, and must be renewed annually. The initial fee is $10 (if the fingerprinting is done through local law enforcement) and renewal costs $10.
For complete instructions on applying, please see the Ohio BMV's information page, Salesperson License.
Most of the laws governing motor vehicle dealers are contained in Title XLV of the Ohio Revised Code. The majority of these are located in section 4517, but a few dealer-related rules are scattered in sections 4503 and 4505.
All of this information is available for you to review online here. You can search for what you're looking for in a variety of ways.
- You can just browse the table of contents until you find the topic you need. This is a good way to see all the information available on the site, while at the same time familiarizing yourself with the site.
- You may also search by keyword. For instance, if you're interested in learning more about the rules governing dealer license denial, try typing in something like "dealer application" or "dealer license."
Once you arrive at a particular section, you may choose to search for keywords just within that section to facilitate your search.
For more search tips, click on the help button on the top right of the page. Or, use the advanced search feature for highly-defined, specific searches.
Check out the dealer-related Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for further information.
You can also contact the Dealer Licensing Section in your county.Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸