Replacing a Lost Registration in New YorkCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
There are many reasons why your vehicle registration might be missing. But, New York's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) makes that situation less painful by making it extremely easy to apply for a duplicate registration.
Replacing your registration receipt and registration sticker are one and the same. You'll automatically receive both when you request one or the other.
Ordering online is fast and easy. The New York online transaction page provides detailed information on everything you will need to know about using the system.
In a nutshell, type in your license plate number, vehicle class, name, zip code, and e-mail address so the DMV can send you a confirmation receipt. Have a credit card handy to pay a $3 fee.
Play it safe and print a copy of your e-mail receipt. This way, if your duplicate registration fails to arrive you can reference it when contacting the DMV.
Your duplicate registration receipt and sticker will arrive within 2 weeks.
Visiting a DMV office in person represents the fastest means for receiving a duplicate registration sticker. Consider this option if you are a traffic ticket magnet, because there is a strong chance you can be ticketed, regardless of the circumstances, for driving without a registration sticker.
When you visit a DMV office, you will need to:
- Complete a Vehicle Registration/Title Application (form MV-82).
- Show your photo driver's license.
- Pay a $3 fee.
You'll immediately receive your registration receipt and sticker.
You will need to send:
- A completed form Vehicle Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82).
- A photocopy of your photo driver's license.
- A check for $3.00.
- NYSDMV Port Jefferson Office
- 3 Roads Plaza
- 1055 Route 112
- Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776
Your registration materials will arrive in the mail within 2 weeks.Other Topics in This Section
True or False
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.