Replacing a Lost CDL in New York

The New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) allows you to apply for a replacement commercial driver's license online, by mail, or in person, and provides temporary licenses until your permanent one arrives. It's illegal to operate a commercial vehicle or other truck without your temporary or permanent CDL in hand.

Additionally, the NY DMV will waive the fee if you lost your CDL due to theft or another crime as long as you present proper paperwork from law enforcement. See below for details.

Ways to Apply for a NY Duplicate CDL


You can replace your lost CDL online if NONE of the following applies to you:

  • You are 25 years old or older and have applied for a replacement in the last 30 days.
  • You are younger than 25 years old and have applied for a replacement before this one.
  • Your license is conditional or restrictive.
  • Your license is “Valid Without Photo."

Use the state's online replacement system, and note that:

  • You should have a major credit card to pay the $17.50 fee.
    • The online system MIGHT charge a credit/debit transaction fee.
  • Once you finish, you MUST print the temporary license in order to legally operate your commercial vehicle.
    • The temporary license is valid for 60 days.
  • The NY DMV will mail your replacement to the address on file.
    • For online orders, the DMV WILL NOT send the replacement to a temporary address. Refer to Change of Address in New York if your address has changed, and in the meantime, consider ordering by mail if you're out of state or in person if you're in state.
    • You should receive your duplicate CDL within 10 days.

By Mail

To apply for a duplicate CDL by mail:

Mail the above to:

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501

In Person

You can order in person at your local DMV office.

Before you head out, read the state's How to Apply for a New York Learner Permit, Driver License, Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44.1). The state provides this document so you can get up to speed on license transactions, including duplicate replacements.

Once you're ready, head to the DMV and:

You'll receive a temporary CDL until the DMV mails your permanent replacement. Remember, the DMV uses the address it has on file, so if your address has changed be sure to update it with the clerk before leaving.

Waiving the NY Replacement CDL Fee

The NY DMV will waive the replacement fee (i.e. replace it for free) IF your lost CDL was due to a crime.

To be eligible for a fee waiver, you MUST file a police report (Form MV-78B, available at the police station) and present it to the DMV.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?