Pay Traffic Ticket in New York
If you have a Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) traffic ticket, you can pay your fine either online, by mail, by phone, or in person. For all other traffic tickets, follow the payment instructions on the ticket itself, or contact the appropriate court; payment methods may vary.
Read this page to learn how to pay your traffic ticket to the Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB).
NOTE: If you want to fight your charge, visit our Fight Traffic Tickets page.
Know Your Options
(Plead Guilty or No Contest)
- Pay the fine.
- Pay the Driver Responsibility Program (if applicable).
- Incur points on your driving record (which could lead to license suspension or revocation).
- Experience an increase in auto insurance rates.
(Plead Not Guilty)
- Contest the ticket during a hearing.
- Represent yourself or, depending on the nature of the ticket, hire an attorney to represent you.
- Possibly lose the option for a plea bargain involving lesser penalties.
- Experience no penalties if found not guilty (except any applicable court/attorney fees).
- Appeal the guilty verdict (if applicable).
Learn more about
Fighting Your Traffic Ticket »
Pay a NY Traffic Ticket
NOTE: If your traffic ticket does not say “Traffic Violations Bureau" on the bottom, check your citation or contact the court handling your case for payment instructions.
Your NY traffic ticket can be paid to the TVB if you received it in:
- New York City.
You can pay your Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) traffic ticket:
- By mail.
- By phone.
- In person.
Be sure to pay your traffic ticket by the due date or risk a driver's license suspension.
NOTE: Paying your traffic ticket mean you're pleading “guilty" to your traffic violation. If pleading “guilty" will result in a suspension of your NY driver's license, you MUST pay it in person.
To pay your traffic ticket online, visit the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.
You may need to enter your:
- Traffic ticket number.
- Social Security number (SSN) (last 4 digits only).
- E-mail address.
- Credit card information.
To pay your NY traffic ticket by mail, follow the instructions on the ticket to enter your plea. Mail the ticket and your payment to:
Traffic Violations Plea Unit
P.O. Box 2950 ESP
Albany, NY 12220
Your traffic ticket should have complete instructions.
Traffic ticket payments can be made in person at a New York TVB office. Make sure you check the office opening times before you visit.
Traffic Ticket Penalties
Once you're convicted of a traffic violation in New York, your offense will be recorded and points will be assigned to your driving record. If you accumulate 11 points or more on your driving record within 18 months, your NY driver's license will be suspended.
Some major traffic violations can result in an automatic driver's license suspension, such as driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI).
More information can be found on our Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties page.
New York Traffic Tickets: FAQs
Do you still have questions about your traffic ticket? Our NY Traffic Ticket FAQ page has more information about topics, including:
- Driving record points.
- Traffic ticket costs.
- Hiring a traffic ticket lawyer.
- Receiving a traffic ticket as a minor.