Online Services in New York
- Online Driver Services:
- Most Common Driver Services (online and otherwise)
- New York Driver's License Testing and Educational Services
- Traffic Violations and Traffic Ticket Services
- Reports and Records for Individuals
- Other New York Online Services
- Online Vehicle Services:
- Most Common Vehicle Services (online and otherwise)
- Vehicle Insurance Services
- Vehicle Buying and Selling Services
- Online Business Services
Time is a hot commodity―whether you live in the city that never sleeps or in bucolic upstate. Fortunately, New York residents can save time with numerous online driver and vehicle services. Read on for a list of driving-related tasks you can take care of from your home computer.
Typically, driver services are handled through the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby NY DMV office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Look up the estimated arrival date of your New York drivers license.
- Apply for license restoration after a revocation.
- Pay fees to end a license suspension.
- Pay driver responsibility assessment fees.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your NY drivers license or non-driver ID online.
- Replace a drivers license or non-driver ID.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Change your address with the state.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
- Obtain auto accident reports.
- Pay NY driver civil penalty fees.
- Schedule a road test online or pay New York road test fee.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take a NY drivers license practice test.
- Take a NY drivers permit practice test.
- Take a NY commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take a NY motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a New York Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
- Enroll in a New York traffic school course if you received a traffic ticket.
- Pay your traffic ticket fines online.
- Schedule NY court hearings.
- Print a copy of your ticket.
- File a traffic ticket appeal. Learn more on fighting your traffic ticket.
- Manage client traffic tickets (attorneys only).
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby NY DMV office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in New York.
- Get e-mail reminders for inspection and registration renewals.
- Renew your NY vehicle registration online.
- Apply to register a vehicle purchased in a private sale.
- Replace lost registration paperwork.
- Learn more on NY smog check and emissions testing requirements.
- Renew your boat registration online.
- Renew your snowmobile registration online.
- Register your out-of-state snowmobile.
- Order New York Empire Gold license plates.
- Obtain New York license plates.
- Browse options for custom license plates.
- Search for and order personalized plates.
- Check the delivery status of drivers license plates.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in New York that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the &State_Nickname&.
- Buy car insurance.
- Buy motorcycle insurance.
- Buy commercial auto insurance.
- Buy boat insurance.
- Provide proof of vehicle insurance.
- Pay an insurance lapse civil penalty online.
- Check the current status of your vehicle's insurance.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.