Changing Your Address in New York
Changing your address?
Perfect time to compare car insurance rates.
1. Start Your Quote:
You must notify the New York Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days if you permanently move―assuming your documentation hasn't gone AWOL among all your packing boxes!
The best way to alert the DMV is by filling out Form MV-232 (Change of Address). With this form, you can update your driver license, learner's permit, ID card, and car registration records all at once, either in person, by mail, or by phone.
You have the free option of letting the DMV know your new address without receiving new documents showing the new address, or you can pay a fee and the DMV will issue a replacement driver license, learner's permit, or ID card with the new address.
You may also order a replacement registration document if you do so by phone. Should you opt out of receiving new documents, write your new address on the back of your driver license or ID card. For a registration, carefully draw lines through your old address and write your new address alongside. DO NOT write on a title certificate, or you will invalidate it. Further information is available on the DMV's Form MV-232.
How to Change Your Address Online
You can immediately change your address online.
How to Change Your Address by Mail:
- Fill out Form MV-232.
- To order a new driver license, learner's permit, or ID card with your new address, check the appropriate box and include a fee of $17.50 for a driver license or learner's permit, $8 for an ID card, or $6.50 for a 10-year ID card. If you don't need new documents, leave this portion blank, and there is no charge.
- Mail the form (and the fee, if required) to:
- DMV License Production Bureau
- P.O. Box 2895
- Albany, NY 12220-0895
- If you ordered new documents, they will arrive by mail in about four weeks.
How to Change Your Address by Phone:
- Contact a DMV call center.
- Have your photo ID ready so you can prove your ID to the DMV representative on the phone.
- Provide your new address information.
- If you wish to order replacement documents with the new address, have your credit card ready. The fees are a little different for phone transactions: $22.50 for a replacement driver license or learner's permit, $13 for an ID card, and $11.50 for a 10-year ID card.
- If you wish to order a new registration document, which you may do by phone but not by mail, the fee is $8.
- Your new documents, if ordered, will arrive in about four weeks.
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- DMV New Resident Checklist
- Forms and Publications for New Residents
- Moving and Need to Change Your Address? Use This Address Change Checklist!
- Change of Address on Vehicle Registration and Titles
- Learn How to Change Your Address on Your Drivers License
- How to Notify the DMV of Your Address Change
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.