Boat Registration and Licenses in New York
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
Any boat that is motor-driven, partially or wholly; and used on public waterways.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in New York for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Commercial boats with either U.S. or foreign documentation.
- Boats racing in competition.
Register in person at any Department of Motor (DMV) office with the following:
- Form MV-82-B (Boat Registration/Title Application).
- Form DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction for Sales Tax) or proof of exemption or tax paid. The requirements and forms for boats are the same as those for motor vehicles.
- Proof of ownership listed in the boat registration requirements document. This is different from proof of ownership for motor vehicles.
- Cash, check, or credit card for the fee (see below).
- Less than 16 feet: $22.50 registration fee.
- 16 feet to less than 26 feet: $45 registration fee
- 26 feet or longer: $75 registration fee.
Registrations are valid for three years.
Renew in Person
Renew by Mail
- New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
- 207 Genesee St.
- Utica, New York 13501
Replace Lost Registration
Visit the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation page for information on age restrictions and required boating safety courses.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.