- Location: New York
Boat Registration and Licenses in New YorkGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
Any boat that is motor-driven, partially or wholly; and used on public waterways.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in New York for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Commercial boats with either U.S. or foreign documentation.
- Boats racing in competition.
Register in person at any Department of Motor (DMV) office with the following:
- Boat Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82B).
- Statement of Transaction (Form DTF-802).
- Proof of ownership listed in the boat registration requirements document. This is different from proof of ownership for motor vehicles.
- Proof of identity and date of birth.
- Cash, check, or credit card for the fee (see below).
Fees include the boat safety surcharge.
- Less than 16 feet: $26.25.
- 16 ft to 26 ft: $57.50
- 26 ft or longer: $93.75.
Registrations are valid for 3 years.
Replace Lost Registration
Visit the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation page for information on age restrictions and required boating safety courses.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks