Boat Registration and Licenses in New York
Compare Boat Insurance Rates and Save!Page Overview
New York Boat Registration and Licenses
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles the registration and titling for all permitted boats.
Keep scrolling down on this page for all information you need to get your boat registered in New York, renew your boat registration, or apply for a replacement copy of your boat registration certificate.
In no time, you'll be cruising the waters legally!
In New York, you must register any boat that is motor-driven, partially or wholly, that you'll be using on public waterways.
- Any boat registered in another state and not kept in New York for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Commercial boats with either U.S. or foreign documentation.
- Boats racing in competition.
New York Boat Titles
The NY DMV only issues titles for boats that meet all of the following criteria:
- Was manufactured in 1987 or more recent.
- Has a length of at least 14 feet.
- Has New York registration.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
To register and title your boat, you will need to apply in person at any New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office with the following:
- Boat Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82B).
- Statement of Transaction – Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (Form DTF-802).
- Proof of ownership listed in the boat registration requirements document. This is different from proof of ownership for motor vehicles.
- Proof of your identity and date of birth.
- Cash, check, or credit card to pay your boat registration fee (see "Fees to Register Your Boat in NY" below).
- You may be responsible for paying sales tax, or showing proof of sales tax payment or exemption. For more information about sales tax, you'll need to visit the NY DMV website.
The amount you will be required to pay for New York boat registration is based on the length of your boat.
The fees below include the boat safety surcharge.
- Less than 16 feet: $26.25.
- 16 ft to 26 ft: $57.50.
- 26 ft or longer: $93.75.
Boat registrations are valid for 3 years. You can renew online, by mail, or in person at your local NY DMV office.
Renew Boat Registration
To renew your NY boat registration online, visit the NY DMV website and follow the prompts.
To renew your registration by mail or in person, you will need to use either the renewal form sent to you or complete a Boat Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82B). Just return the completed form to your local NY DMV office.
Replace Lost Boat Registration in New York
If you need another copy of your NY boat registration, you will need to complete Boat Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82B) and drop it off at any NY DMV office. The cost for a duplicate boat registration certificate will be $2.
Visit the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation page for information on age restrictions and required boating safety courses.
Boating safety courses are offered:
You do not have to carry insurance on your boat in order to register it, but you may want to consider buying a policy.
Without boat insurance, you could end up paying a whole lot of money if you're ever involved in a crash on your boat. Do yourself a favor by reading our boat insurance page, and find out how to save some money!Other Topics in This Section