Bill of Sale Requirements in New York

Bill of Sale Forms

In New York when you buy or sell a vehicle, you will usually use a Form MV-50 (Retail Certificate of Sale) to signify the change of ownership for dealer transactions, or for private transactions you'll sign over the Certificate of Title on the back. In addition, the Department of Motor Vehicles recommends that buyers obtain from the seller a bill of sale in addition to the ownership (title) and sales tax documents.

More Bill of Sale Details

There is more paperwork involved in buying or selling a vehicle that you should be aware of, especially if you're not buying from a licensed dealer, who would normally handle the documentation for you. Visit our Buying & Selling page for more information about all the forms you should fill out for the DMV when buying or selling a vehicle privately.

Generic Bill of Sale

To assist you in finding a form, we provide links to generic forms from our sponsors.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Bill of Sale Requirements in Another State?