Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • License Plates & Placards in Nevada

    When you register your vehicle, you will receive 2 license plates. You should use both plates. Trailers must have a license on the rear bumper only.

    You have 30 days to register your vehicle and get new plates after moving to Nevada from another state or country. If you buy a vehicle from a private party or out-of-state dealer, you have 30 days to register it. If you buy a vehicle from a Nevada dealer, you have until the expiration date of the temporary placard that came with your car.

    Your license plates will be registered to you as an individual, not to your car. If you get a new car, you can transfer your plates to that car after visiting a full-service DMV office to complete your registration application.

    If you sell your car, keep your plates. If you don't use them on another vehicle, you'll need to surrender them within 30 days. You can surrender the plates by bringing them into a full-service DMV office and handing them to a DMV examiner, or by mailing them to:

    • Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Central Services Division
    • 555 Wright Way
    • Carson City, NV 89711

    Be sure to include a signed letter requesting cancellation.

    For more information about license plates and replacements, please see the DMV's information page.

    Disabled Parking Plates

    If you meet certain physical criteria, you may be eligible for permanent disabled parking status, which will be noted on your specialized license plates.

    Personalized License Plates

    Nevada license plates have 7 characters (or 6 characters, if you drive a motorcycle). You are allowed to request a personalized license plate up to the maximum number of characters, as long as that combination is not already in use or obscene.

    You can easily check to see what letter and number combinations are available using the Personalized License Plate Availability Search online. Simply type in your choice and click Submit.

    You can also e-mail the DMV at, or call your local full-service DMV office to see if specific license plate combinations are already in use.

    Once you have two or three options for your plates, you have several ways to order personalized license plates: by mail, by fax, or in person.

    Order by mail: Download the Personalized License Plate Application (Form SP66) and fill it out completely. Mail it to the address on the application, along with applicable fees (see below).

    The DMV accepts checks or money orders, made payable to DMV. You can also use a credit card by completing the Credit Card Authorization (Form VP205) form.

    Order by fax: Download the Personalized License Plate Application and fill it out completely. Fill out a Credit Card Authorization (Form VP205) for applicable fees, and fax both forms together to (775) 684-4797.

    Order in person: Download the Personalized License Plate Application and fill it out completely. Bring it in to your nearest full-service DMV office. You can also pay applicable fees by check, money order, or credit card.

    When your license plates are ready, they'll be shipped to the DMV office you indicated on your application, and you'll be notified that they're ready to be picked up. They will not be sent directly to your home address, unless you ordered them in person.

    Specialty Plates

    Specialty plates, which differ in design from the standard Nevada plates, can be personalized or not. Nevada has a wide range of specialty plates, and some (like the Veteran plates) have eligibility requirements you must meet before you can order them.

    Below is a list of links to all the various specialty plates you can order, and each link includes specific prices and procedures for qualifying.

    Antique (Classic) Plates


    • Your car or light commercial vehicle must be at least 25 years old.
    • Your vehicle must contain original parts, or replacement parts that closely resemble the originals.

    To apply, submit a Classic Vehicle License Plate Application (SP34) in person at any DMV full-service office, or, if applicable, to your County Assessor office.

    The fee for an original classic plates is $36.

    Surrendering License Plates in Nevada

    The state requires Nevada residents to return their license plates after relocating to another state, selling their vehicle, or canceling insurance coverage for any reason.

    If you've moved to another state, you can mail your license plates and a Change of Address Notification (Form DMV22) to the Nevada DMV address listed on the form. Former residents are not eligible for plate credits/refunds.

    Unless you plan to transfer your old license plates after selling your vehicle, you'll need to surrender your plates to the Nevada DMV to receive a registration credit or refund. To receive a refund, you'll need to submit your license plates to the Nevada DMV in person or mail them to:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Central Services Division
    555 Wright Way
    Carson City, NV 89711
    NOTE: Visit the Nevada DMV website for more information about plate refund/credit eligibility.
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.