License Plates & Placards in NevadaPage Overview
Read below for more information about license plates and tags in Nevada.
NOTE: Do you need a disability parking plate? Visit our Disability Placards & Plates page for application information and more details.
You must have a license plate issued by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on most vehicles, including:
- Cars and trucks.
- Recreational vehicles and motorhomes.
- Commercial vehicle.
Vehicles must have license plates on the front AND back, EXCEPT motorcycles and trailers, which only need a rear license plate.
The NV DMV offers a standard license plate with a sunset design, the state name printed along the top, and “The Silver State" printed along the bottom.
You will also be issued a registration decal, which shows the month and year your registration expires. The decal goes in the upper right corner of your rear license plate.
Other NV License Plates
The NV DMV issues personalized tags and special organization plates in addition to its standard plates ( see below).
If you have a disability, you may quality for a Nevada disability license plate. Visit our disability parking permits page for application information.
You may need a temporary tag if you cannot get a permanent license plate right away.
Most commonly, you will get a temporary tag from your car dealer when you buy a vehicle, allowing you to drive it until your permanent plates arrive.
You can apply in person at a NV DMV office for several types of non-commercial movement permits if you need temporary tags for another reason:
- Specific permit (such as emissions testing): $2.
- Other permits: $8.25 per day.
To apply for a Nevada license plate, you must register your vehicle with the Nevada DMV.
You have 30 days to register when you move to NV, and 30 days to register when you buy a new vehicle.
Visit our Nevada vehicle registration page for complete details.
Most Nevada license plates are valid for 1 year at a time. To renew your vehicle tags, you'll need to renew your registration before it expires.
The NV DMV offers renewal online, by mail, and in person.
When you renew, you'll get a new expiration decal to place over the existing decal.
See our registration renewal page for more information.
If your license plates or expiration decals are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a replacement from the NV DMV.
If your plates have been damaged OR lost, you can get EITHER:
- New license plates with a new number.
- Duplicate plates with your existing number.
If your plates have been stolen, you MUST get a new license plate number.
Replacement Plates with a New Number
You must get a new license plate number if your plates are stolen.
You can choose to get a new license plate number if your plates are damaged or lost.
For new license plates with a new number, you must go in person to a Nevada DMV office with:
- The damaged license plates.
- If you don't have your plates with you, you'll need to complete a Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit (Form VP-202).
- Payment for the replacement fees:
- $6 license plate fee AND the $0.50 Prison Industries Fee.
- Registration fees if you start your registration period over.
- $6 license plate fee AND the $0.50 Prison Industries Fee.
Duplicate Plates with Your Current Number
You can get duplicate plates ONLY if your plates are damaged or lost.
For duplicate plates with your current plate number, submit:
- Your damaged plates.
- If you do not have your plates to turn in, also submit the Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit (Form VP-202).
- The Duplicate License Plate Application (Form SP14).
- The Credit Card Authorization (Form VP-205) for credit card payments by fax or mail.
- Payment: Duplicate plate cost: $18
Contact the Nevada DMV for more information:
- Las Vegas and vicinity: (702) 486-4368 (486-4DMV).
- Reno, Sparks, or Carson City: (775) 684-4368 (684-4DMV).
- Rural areas: (877) 368-7828.
- In person at a Nevada DMV office.
- By fax to (775) 684-4797.
- By mail to the address on the form.
TransferWhen you get a new vehicle, you can transfer your license plates when you register the vehicle with the NV DMV. You CANNOT transfer your plates to the new owner of your car, unless you have antique or classic car plates. Include a License Plate Release (Form SP67) when you transfer ownership of the vehicle.
SurrenderYou must surrender your license plates:
- When selling or trading your vehicle IF you aren't transferring the plates within 30 days.
- BEFORE canceling the liability insurance on your vehicle for any reason.
- Your license plates.
- Your license plate decals.
- A letter asking the DMV to cancel your registration IF you are mailing your materials.
Department of Motor Vehicles
- In person at your local Nevada DMV office.
- By mail to:
Central Services Division
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711
- Fees for new standard plates and renewals:
- All passenger cars: $33.
- Motorcycles: $33 PLUS a $6 motorcycle safety fee.
- Travel trailers: $27.
- New license plates with a new number: $6 plate fee PLUS a $0.50 Prison Industries Fee.
- Duplicate plates with the same number:
- $18 duplicate fee.
- $3 per plate production fee.
- $0.50 per plate Prison Industries fee.
The Nevada DMV offers several types of license plates to help you customize your vehicle.
Nevada license plates have 7 characters (or 6 characters, if you drive a motorcycle). You are allowed to request a personalized license plate up to the maximum number of characters, as long as that combination is not already in use or obscene.
You can easily check to see what letter and number combinations are available using the Personalized License Plate Availability Search online. Simply type in your choice and click Submit.
You can also e-mail the DMV at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call your local full-service DMV office to see if specific license plate combinations are already in use.
Once you have two or three options for your plates, you have several ways to order personalized license plates: by mail, by fax, or in person.
Order by mail:
Download the Personalized License Plate Application (Form SP66) and fill it out completely. Mail it to the address on the application, along with applicable fees (see below).
The DMV accepts checks or money orders, made payable to DMV. You can also use a credit card by completing the Credit Card Authorization (Form VP205) form.
Order by fax:
Order in person:
Download the Personalized License Plate Application and fill it out completely. Bring it in to your nearest full-service DMV office. You can also pay applicable fees by check, money order, or credit card.
When your license plates are ready, they'll be shipped to the DMV office you indicated on your application, and you'll be notified that they're ready to be picked up. They will not be sent directly to your home address, unless you ordered them in person.
Specialty plates, which differ in design from the standard Nevada plates, can be personalized or not. Nevada has a wide range of specialty plates, and some (like the Veteran plates) have eligibility requirements you must meet before you can order them.
Below is a list of links to all the various specialty plates you can order, and each link includes specific prices and procedures for qualifying.
- Circa 1982 Replica Plates
- Fire Fighter Plates ― requires a specialized Standard and Personalized Professional Fire Fighter License Plate Form (Form SP41) to be used in place of the standard application for personalized plates.
- Charitable & Collegiate Plates
- Organizational Plates ― some require a specialized application to be used in place of the standard application for personalized plates; links are available by each specific design.
- Veterans & Military Plates ― some require a specialized application to be used in place of the standard application for personalized plates; links are available by each specific design.
Antique (Classic) Plates
- Your car or light commercial vehicle must be at least 25 years old.
- Your vehicle must contain original parts, or replacement parts that closely resemble the originals.
The fee for an original classic plates is $37.
Related ContentRecommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section