Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in Nevada

    Nevada Name Change Package - $29.95

    Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Nevada. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.

    Get Started

    Continue »

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    Summary: How to Change Your Name in Nevada

    If you’ve changed your name, you’ll need to update your name with the SSA before you update the DMV’s records. To change your name on your Nevada driver’s license/ID card, car registration, and certificate of title, you’ll need to visit the DMV in person. You’ll need to show proof of your name change and pay any required fees.

    Continue reading this page for complete instructions on changing your name with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

    Change Your Name with the SSA

    Before changing your name on your NV driver’s license and vehicle documents, you’ll need to first change your name on the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) records. Take or mail the following documents to your local SSA office:

    • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
    • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (if required) OR proof of your lawful presence in the U.S.
    • Proof of your identity (e.g. driver’s license, ID card, passport).
    • Proof of your name change (e.g. divorce decree, marriage license, court order).

    Visit the SSA website for a complete list of required documents.

    The SSA will mail you a new Social Security card showing your new name about 10 business days after your application is processed.

    NV Driver’s License/ID Card Name Change

    To change your name on your Nevada driver’s license or ID card, visit a NV DMV office in person. You cannot change your name by mail or online.

    You will need:

    • Your current NV driver’s license or identification card.
    • Documents proving your name change, such as your:
      • Certified marriage certificate.
      • Divorce decree.
      • Court document.
    • Payment for the duplicate card.

    The Nevada DMV will give you a temporary driver’s license to use until your replacement card arrives in the mail.

    Car Registration & Title Name Change

    Changing your name on your car registration and certificate of title requires a trip to the Nevada DMV.

    NOTE: You are not required to change your name on your title certificate, but the NV DMV advises it.

    Vehicle Registration

    To update your name on your vehicle registration, you will need:

    • To show proof of your name change, such as your:
      • Marriage certificate.
      • Divorce decree.
      • Court order.
    • Your NV driver’s license showing your new name.
    • An updated auto insurance card showing your new name.
    • Your current registration document.
    • Payment for the required fee.

    You can either apply for a duplicate registration slip or renew your registration. If you choose to renew, you may need to pass an emissions inspection.

    Car Title

    To change your name on your car certificate of title, you’ll need to sign it in the space given. If there is a lien on the vehicle, the lien holder will need to approve the change to the title.

    For more information about changing your name on your title certificate, contact the Nevada DMV.

    Fees to Change Your Name in Nevada

    To change your name on your NV DMV documents, you’ll need to pay the appropriate fee/s:

    • Driver’s license: $8.25.
    • ID card: $7.25.
    • Vehicle registration:
      • Renewal: Varies depending on vehicle type.
      • Duplicate: $5.
    • Certificate of title:
      • Title transfer: $28.25.
      • Duplicate title: $20.

    Accepted Payment Methods

    The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices accept payment by:

    • Cash.
    • Check.
    • Money order.
    • Debit card.
    • All major credit cards.

    Change Your Nevada Address

    If you move to a new address, either within Nevada or to another state, you must notify the DMV within 30 days.

    You can change your address either online, by mail, by fax, or in person. See our Change of Address in Nevada page for instructions.

    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.