- Location: Nevada
Boat Registration and Licenses in NevadaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
In Nevada you are required to register all motorboats (including jet skis).
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized sailboats.
- Any other non-motorized vessel.
- Any motorboat from another country temporarily using Nevada's waters.
- A ship's lifeboat.
- A public vessel of the U.S. government, a state or a political subdivision of a state.
- Any boat already registered in another state.
To register a new or previously untitled vessel, first gather the following:
- Bill of sale as proof of ownership.
- Verification of sales tax paid, if applicable. (Casual sales between two individuals do not require sales tax.)
- Original Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). If you don't have an MSO or if the hull identification number (HIN) isn't typed out, the NDOW must inspect your boat. (The Carson City NDOW office does not do inspections, but all other locations do.)
- Previous state's registration (if applicable).
- Social Security number.
- Applicable fees.
And then apply in person at your nearest NDOW office. Whether you need info on registering out-of-state untitled vessels and Nevada titled vessels, this agency will have the answers you need.
- Less than 13 ft:$20
- 13 ft to 18 ft:$25
- 18 ft to 22 ft:$40
- 22 ft to 26 ft: $55
- 26 ft to 31 ft: $75
- 31 ft and longer:$100
A Note About Sales Tax
All boats sold by dealers require the payment of sales tax. Sales tax does not apply to sales between two individuals. If you haven't paid the tax, contact one of the following offices for information on where to pay it:
- Reno: (775) 687-9999
- Carson City: (775) 684-2135
- Las Vegas: (702) 486-2300
Use Nevada's online renewal system. Access via the code printed on your renewal notice, which will be mailed to you before December 31st.
Renewing online will give you a temporary authorization number, allowing you to legally operate your boat for 10 days from the renewal date.
Renew in Person
Visit a NDOW office .
Replace Lost Registration
Visit a NDOW office . No charge for a replacement.
No license is required. But persons born after January 1st, 1983 must complete a boating education course to operate a motorboat of more than 15 horsepower on Nevada's interstate waters.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks