Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in Nevada

    1) Choose Your License

    Whether you’re new to driving or new to Nevada, you’ll have to apply for a driver’s license. Nevada offers these licenses:

    Transferring Your License

    If you have a valid out-of-state license and no restrictions on it, you can transfer it. Take proof of identity and social security number to your local DMV. You might be asked to take a vision test.

    NOTE: If you’re a teen driver under the age of 18 years old, you must take a driver’s ed course and get an instruction permit that allows you to practice before you get an unrestricted license.

    2) Take a Driver’s Education Course

    The best thing for everyone new to the state or to driving is to take a driver’s ed class. Familiarizing yourself with Nevada’s traffic laws will help you avoid tickets and accidents.

    3) Prepare for the Test

    Learn the Nevada Driver’s Handbook thoroughly before you attempt the written exam. Taking a few practice tests will help you ace the real thing.

    4) Locate a Nevada DMV Office

    Find the nearest DMV office to take your written test. DMV representatives answer e-mail and the phone if you have more questions. The NV DMV doesn't make appointments for the written test.

    NOTE: Nevada has instituted a Central Issuance policy for driver licenses. If you visit Carson City or Reno DMV locations, you will receive a temporary license at the time of application and your official license will be mailed to you.

    While the Central Issuance policy is currently only effective in Carson City and Reno areas, the policy will take effect in all remaining Nevada DMV offices in the coming weeks.

    5) Make Test-Day Preparations

    Before you go in to take the test, make sure you are prepared to:

    NOTE: If you cannot provide all of the documents necessary to apply for a standard driver’s license, you may be eligible for a driver authorization card. Please see “Driver Authorization Cards & Non-U.S. Citizens” below.

    6) Take the NV Written Test

    If you know the Drivers Handbook by heart and prepared with a Driver’s Ed course, start your testing. You’ll need to take a written before the driving test, and not on the same day.

    7) Get a Car

    You’ve got a permit to drive. It might be time to think about buying a car.

    First, consider how much driving you’ll be doing and how reliable the car needs to be. Used cars offer fantastic value, but be careful.

    To head off buying many problems, get a Vehicle History Report before you buy. For one fee, you get access to the histories of all the cars you want for a month or more. All you need is the car’s VIN. The reports tells you about accidents and salvaged titles.

    8) Get Car Insurance

    After you’ve found the perfect car, it’s time to find the right car insurance plan for you.

    Some cars cost more to insure than others, so before you make the purchase, find out how much it will be. Comparison shopping for insurance is always smart.

    9) Take the Driving Test

    For an appointment, call whichever is closest to you:

    • Las Vegas area (702) 486-4368
    • Reno/Sparks/Carson City (775) 684-4368
    • Elsewhere in Nevada (877) 368-7828

    Or use the online appointment system to schedule a time.

    Drive tests are usually stopped an hour before close.

    Bring a car with adequate insurance and registration that will pass safety testing. Also bring someone along with you to drive you home, in case you fail the test.

    Once You Pass

    You’ll be issued a temporary license at the office. Your official license will be mailed to you..

    If You Fail

    Ask the examiner when you can reschedule the test. You may not take it again on the same day. Fee: $10.

    Driver Authorization Cards & Non-U.S. Citizens

    Before you go in for a license, contact your local DMV office to see if you’re eligible. When inquiring, you'll need to provide the Status Code issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

    If you are unable to provide the necessary documents to obtain a standard driver’s license, you can apply for a driver authorization card, which:

    • Is valid for 1 year.
    • Must be applied for, renewed and replaced in person.
    • Cannot be used as identification.

    To obtain a driver authorization card follow the steps to get a standard license above.

    You must provide the following documents and they must be in English:

    • Proof of identity with:
      • 1 document that is:
        • A military or military dependent ID card.
        • DD Form 214.
        • U.S. Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood.
        • OR
      • 2 documents, including:
        • An out-of-state driver’s license/driver authorization card.
        • A foreign passport.
        • A foreign birth certificate.
    • Originals or certified copies of 2 documents proving residency. Acceptable documents includ:
      • Rental agreements.
      • Utility bills.
      • Bank statements.
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.