Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Moving Out of State in New Mexico

    Permanent Moves

    If you're leaving The Land of Enchantment permanently, you may cancel your registration at any Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office, or by mail:

    • Motor Vehicle Division
    • Joseph Montoya Building
    • P.O. Box 1028
    • 1100 South St. Francis Drive
    • Santa Fe, NM 87504

    Be sure to include a brief note expressing your wish to have your registration cancelled.

    You are not required to surrender your license plates, but it's a good idea. If your new state does not recycle the plates, New Mexico will by mailing them to the same address listed above.

    Registration Refund

    Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for a refund on the unused portion of your registration. Call the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) at (888) 683-4636 to see if you qualify for a refund.

    Preparing for the Move

    Make matters easier for yourself by visiting our New to Your State section, which gives an overview of driving-related tasks that should be tackled immediately after you settle into your new home.

    Military Information

    Military and their families who will be temporarily living outside of New Mexico should check out our Drivers in the Military section for important registration and license information regarding their special situation.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.