New to New Mexico
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Are you new to the state of New Mexico? Let us be the first to welcome you to the "Land of Enchantment."
You have no doubt already observed our beautiful climate and scenery. In New Mexico, you will find endless historical sites and places of recreation. Whether you wish to see forests, mountains, deserts, or lakes, you can see it all right here. Of course, you will need to do some driving to take in the sites, and if you are new here, you need to obtain a New Mexico driver's license.
In New Mexico, you will be issued a driver's license from the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). New residents from out of state have 30 days to relinquish their old driver's license and apply for a New Mexico license. The fee is nominal―$16 for a four-year license―but be prepared to pass an eye exam. Here are the items you will need to bring with you to an MVD field office:
- Your current driver's license
- Your Social Security card
- Two proofs of residency in New Mexico (a P.O. box does not count)
- Proof of completion of the "None for the Road" program (if applicable)
The "None for the Road" DWI awareness and prevention program is an at-home video tutorial required for all first-time New Mexico driver's license holders who are between the ages of 18 and 24. For information about "None for the Road," call (877) 663-7465.
- Vehicle title
- Your current registration
- Proof of residency in New Mexico
- Proof of insurance
- Current odometer reading
Keep in mind that if your new home is near Albuquerque, your vehicle may need to pass an emissions test.
- Nickname: Land of Enchantment
- State bird: roadrunner
- State flower: yucca
- State motto: "It grows as it goes"
- State songs: "O, Fair New Mexico" and "Asi es Nuevo Mejico"
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.