Identification Cards in New Mexico
Continue reading this page to learn how to apply for, renew, and replace a non-driver ID card in New Mexico.
An ID card identifies a person as a citizen of a specific state. You are not allowed to have one if you already possess a driver's license.
- 1 document of your identity with documents such as:
- Your birth certificate.
- A valid U.S. passport.
- A military ID.
- 1 document proving your identification number with documents such as your Social Security card.
- 2 documents proving your New Mexico residency with documents such as:
- A rental or mortgage agreement.
- Utility bills.
- A bank statement.
A photograph will be taken of you for an ID card, and you will need to provide your thumbprint and signature. As with a driver's license, you have the choice of registering as an organ donor (minors must have a guardian's signature).
You'll need to pay:
- $10 for a ID card that is valid for 4 years.
- $18 for an ID card that is valid for 8 years.
NOTE: Your ID card will be free if you are 75 years old or older.
If you are unable to provide the identification documents required for a secure ID above, you can obtain an alternative identification card by providing:
- 2 documents proving your identity.
- 1 document proving your your New Mexico residency.
New Mexico ID cards are issued for a period of either 4 years or 8 years.
Because New Mexico does not have online renewal services available, you will need to go in person to your local Motor Vehicle Division Office to process your ID card renewal. You'll need to surrender your old ID card.
The renewal fee is $10 for 4 years, $18 for 8 years, or free if you are 75 years old or older.
Duplicate ID card fees are the same as regular identification card fees:
- $10 for an ID valid for 4 years.
- $18 for an ID valid for 8 years.
NOTE: ID cards are free if you're 75 years old or older.
If you've changed your name or address, you'll need to notify the NM MVD. Address changes can be made either by email, fax, mail, or in person. Name changes must be made in person and you will be required to provide proof of the change.
Visit our following pages for more information:
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.