Driver Handbook in New MexicoPage Overview
On this page, you’ll find links to the driving manuals available in New Mexico.
To help you get your NM driver’s license, it’s a good idea to read the New Mexico Driver’s Manual (also available in Spanish). In addition to teaching you to become a safe driver, you will learn about:
Don't Forget an Online Practice Test!
- How to apply for a learner’s permit and driver’s license in New Mexico.
- Renewing or replacing an NM driver’s license.
- General rules of the road.
- Sharing the road with other drivers.
- Graduated driver’s licensing (GDL) program in New Mexico.
The New Mexico MVD driver’s manual also includes sample questions to help you pass your knowledge test. For additional preparation, you can always take an online practice test. They are guaranteed to help you succeed.
Prior to applying for a commercial driver license (CDL), you’ll need to study the NM Commercial Driver’s Manual (also available in Spanish). Subjects include:
- Applying for a commercial driver license (CDL).
- Transporting cargo and passengers.
- Combination vehicles.
- Towing trailers.
- Tank vehicles.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- On-road driving examination.
To better prepare yourself for the NM MVD written test, you can take an online practice test.
All the information you need to pass the exams for your motorcycle license can be found in the NM Driver’s Manual. In addition to learning about motorcycle safety equipment, you’ll learn how to:
- Apply for a NM motorcycle license.
- Use proper hand signals.
- Share your lane with other drivers.
- Pass other vehicles safely.
- Use intersections.
- Control your motorbike.
For additional study materials, you can take an online NM motorcycle practice test.
Refer to the New Mexico Vehicle Code for all laws related to vehicles, driving, and traffic in the state.
If you recently received a traffic citation, the NM Vehicle Code may help you understand your traffic violation and why you were ticketed. Visit our Traffic Tickets in NM page to learn how to respond to your citation.Other Topics in This Section