Commercial Driver Education in New Mexico

CDL Requirements

If you are itching to see America from behind the wheel of a mammoth freight truck, you will need to apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL). Doing this requires you to meet a few qualifications.

  • You must be 21 years old to drive across state lines.
  • You should be fit to drive; hence, you will need to provide the results of a physical.
  • You need to have a valid driver's license and not have a checkered driving past.

These are just the basics to get you in the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office door and begin the process. Then comes the hard part: testing and more testing.

CDL Training

There is no formal requirement to get CDL education, such as a certificate. You do need a good deal of study and plenty of actual on-road training. But considering that the license is the key to unlocking a wealth of job opportunities and financial stability, it is worth the time and effort.

Numerous trucking or tech schools and companies are authorized by the state to provide education and sometimes skills testing for a CDL.

Where to Take the Test

All of the knowledge and endorsement tests (the written tests) are administered at an MVD office.

The driving skills test, for the most part, is also handled by third-party testing services. These facilities generally provide the vehicles for any license class you are tested for.

But if you are not enrolled in a class, then what do you do? There are varying regions dividing the state, and within each of these regions are a host of people qualified to administer the CDL exam.

It is best to contact your local MVD office to obtain a list of those on the current testing roster. In most cases, when you go this route you will need to rent your own vehicle.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Commercial Driver Education in Another State?