Commercial Driver Education in New Mexico
Get Free Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes from Multiple Providers
Enter Your Zip Code:
If you caught the OTR bug and are itching to see America from behind the wheel of a mammoth freight truck, you will need to apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL). Doing this requires you to meet a few qualifications.
- You must be 21 years old to drive across state lines, or 18 years old if you don't mind sticking around New Mexico for a while (because that is the only place you can drive until you turn 21).
- You should be fit to drive; hence, you will need to provide the results of a physical.
- You need to have a valid driver's license and not have a checkered driving past.
These are just the basics to get you in the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office door and begin the process. Then comes the hard part: testing and more testing.
There is no formal requirement to get CDL education, such as a certificate. You do need a good deal of study and plenty of actual on-road training. But considering that the license is the key to unlocking a wealth of job opportunities and financial stability, it is worth the time and effort.
Numerous trucking or tech schools and companies are authorized by the state to provide education and sometimes skills testing for a CDL.
All of the knowledge and endorsement tests (the written tests) are administered at an MVD office.
The three-part driving skills test, for the most part, is also handled by third-party testing services. These facilities generally provide the vehicles for any license class you are tested for.
But if you are not enrolled in a class, then what do you do? There are varying regions dividing the state, and within each of these regions are a host of people qualified to administer the CDL exam.
It is best to contact your local MVD office to obtain a list of those on the current testing roster. In most cases, when you go this route you will need to rent your own vehicle.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Training for Trucking: Enroll in CDL Driver Education
- Trucker Testing: Commercial Drivers License Exams
- How to Choose a Commercial Driver Education Program
- What is Commercial Driver Education?
- Commercial Driver Education: Are You Ready to Drive a Big Rig?
- How to Prepare for a CDL Permit Exam
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.